Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

rear disc??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

The other thing that's odd is that you chose to necropost this to a thread that is almost a decade old.

No the cars have not changed since then but,,,,really....

To my knowledge:

For the S cars:
All Sx1's had rear drums.
All Sx2's had 4 wheel disc up to and including 98 (coupes) 99(sedans)
99-02 (3rd gen) coupes and 00-02 (3rd gen) sedans had rear drums.

I don't remember ABS playing a factor in what went on the back, as I don't believe disc brakes were an option on the Sx1's. So your buddy must have a 98 SL2 not an SL which is the base/manual everything version.

Again, disc brakes were only standard on the Sx2's through 98/99 (see above).
If you DO decide to do a swap, search long and hard on the net because you also need to swap parking brake cables in some cases, and you don't want to be 9/10th done something and realize you can't get the cable you need.

And as for your buddy and rear brakes: if they are disc they should last about 120K miles. I hope he bought it in 2002 with more mi on it than that, otherwise in theory it should be metal on metal if the car is driven average miles/year

Last edited by derf; 02-19-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 AM

DUDE! Do you have nothing better to do than nit-pick everyone's posts? HOLY CRAP! I post 2 things and YOU feel a need to respond to BOTH, and in a negative way! IF you're such an expert, WHY have this forum? Why not make your own KNOW IT ALL website? Geez, dude, if you know EVERYTHING about Saturns, WHY does this forum have so many classifications? We could just use ONE... YOURS, the true and only expert!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

DUDE!!!!

That is the most bizarre response to any post I have ever made on this forum in 12 years.

All I did was

1)provide you with what I believe to be the correct subset of models with rear disc brakes to simplify your parts hunting if you choose to get some parts at the junkyard. In fact you will likely have to find the e-brake cable to swap in at a junkyard. Was gonna check online parts stores, but I don't want to "know it all" you with even more helpful information.

I could do a quick search of the net to find one of the writeups on which year cars need the e brake cable swapped and to which one they need to swap to, but I won't bother as I fear you would perceive my providing any additional technical info on the rear disc conversion as more "know it all" behavior.

Also, was trying to help you avoid a situation where you would get stuck at the end not knowing the e brake cable needed to be swapped. I would think you would want to know as much about what you're getting into before you start.

Google it. It's out there.

I share information with you that I think might be of use to you and I am a know-it-all?

Hardly.

I even complimented you on choosing used shifter cables over aftermarket, and WHY.

Not sure where the negativity thing comes in ?? I did not bash you nor your buddy nor your cars. I just told you how long rear brakes last on average for a rear disc s series.
-----------------------
You'd be surprised (or not) how often I'm wrong.
Ask Rubehayseed (lifetime shadetree mechanic), 02_LW300 (lifelong professional mechanic), or the other regulars.

-------
If you want a wrong answer out of me, ask me ANYTHING about an Astra, Outlook, Relay, and quite often the Ions.
------
We ALL put our heads together to help each other and ensure members have correct information before diving into something that looks simple but has a few caveats.
That's what we try to do on THIS forum. HELP each other. SHARE information.
-------
If you have QUESTIONS about your Saturn, we're ALL happy to help. Just start a new thread.

If SHARING and TRANSFERRING that knowledge makes forum members know-it-alls.....then please go find somewhere else to feel persecuted and lectured-to when others try to help you by providing technical information intended to help you.

Last edited by derf; 02-20-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Did you have to swap the master cylinder out or did you leave the stock one?

Old 07-20-2019, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

What is the allure of necroposting?

I believe the master cyl is identical in the S cars regardless of Disc or drum.check rockauto.com for an identical car in 97.