Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Problem: High RPM’s/Flashing Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:22 PM

Hi [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

I have a '97 SL1 and I'm having a problem with high rpm's. When I push my clutch in, the rpm's go higher. I got it scanned and two codes came up (P0341:cyclinder detect signal errorr too many pulses)and (P1599: engine stall or near stall detected).

The mechanic told me both codes are caused by either a weak crank sensor or ignition coil pack.

How would I determine which it is without having to spend too much more money?

Also, my High Engine Coolant Temperature/Automatic Transaxle Fluid Temperature and Low Coolant Level Warning Light is flashing on and off every now and again. My manual says that when these lights flash on and off, the coolant level is too low and I should add coolant, but I checkedthe coolant level and itis fine. I'm not sure if the above issue have anything to do with this issue.

Anyway! lol I'm a girl that knows nothing about cars! lol so if anyone could help me out that would be great! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Low Coolant Level Light

Flashing low coolant level light when coolant level is fine often indicates faulty coolant level sensor, which is located in the base of the plastic coolant expansion tank. Check wiring and sensor.

DTC P0341: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance

There is no Cam sensor on the S-cars -- this code indicates that there is most likely an issue with the ignition system.

That having been said, the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) keeps the PCM informed of where the crank is in its rotation via a series of pulses --which then gets passed thru the PCM logic to tell the ignition module when to fire which cylinder and when.

Not sure where the "too many pulses" def of the code is coming from (this is not standard ODBII def as far as I know).

Could be CPS putting out bogus/confusing pulses
Could be Ignition module or faulty coil

However, I wouldn't expect either to necessarily directly lead to a high idle condition......

1) REPLACE Engine Coolant Temp Sensor and connector first
(if original is still in there, it has failed (they all did)) Connector is dealer only -- replace it!) Should help with high idle if defective.

2) Instinct says "replace both coilpacks + ignition module" (get the entire assembly, not just the coil packs). However, I believe it is cheaper to replace the CPS and see if the problem goes away. CPS problems on S-cars are quite common--a new one won't hurt...(can't believe I just said that)

I could explain how to troubleshoot this if you're interested, but .....I sense you just want it fixed without going on a part-swapping mission for $$$

Derf

Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 PM

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Originally Posted by derf
Low Coolant Level Light

Flashing low coolant level light when coolant level is fine often indicates faulty coolant level sensor, which is located in the base of the plastic coolant expansion tank. Check wiring and sensor.

DTC P0341: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance

There is no Cam sensor on the S-cars -- this code indicates that there is most likely an issue with the ignition system.

That having been said, the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) keeps the PCM informed of where the crank is in its rotation via a series of pulses --which then gets passed thru the PCM logic to tell the ignition module when to fire which cylinder and when.

Not sure where the "too many pulses" def of the code is coming from (this is not standard ODBII def as far as I know).

Could be CPS putting out bogus/confusing pulses
Could be Ignition module or faulty coil

However, I wouldn't expect either to necessarily directly lead to a high idle condition......

1) REPLACE Engine Coolant Temp Sensor and connector first
(if original is still in there, it has failed (they all did)) Connector is dealer only -- replace it!) Should help with high idle if defective.

2) Instinct says "replace both coilpacks + ignition module" (get the entire assembly, not just the coil packs). However, I believe it is cheaper to replace the CPS and see if the problem goes away. CPS problems on S-cars are quite common--a new one won't hurt...(can't believe I just said that)

I could explain how to troubleshoot this if you're interested, but .....I sense you just want it fixed without going on a part-swapping mission for $$$

Derf

Hi Derf, thanks so much for replying. I will definately do the things you mentioned, however I am also interested in how to troubeshoot this, if you don't mind explaining it to me [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Coconut Princess