Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

OBD II on 2002 Saturn SL 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned
Cool OBD II on 2002 Saturn SL 2

I wish to install a tracking device on my 2002 Saturn. Does it have the OBD II or the OBD I.
Secondly any suggestions as to brand model to buy for the OBD plug? I have been looking at an:

OBD II GPS TRACKER Realtime Car Truck Vehicle Tracking GSM GPRS Mini Device Spy

I would appreciate any help you can give me...

mogulsmoke

Old 11-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

OBD II.

Cars 1996 and newer were required by law to implement the newer more comprehensive on On Board Diagnostics II.

As for which one you choose, since you are only doing it for 1 vehicle, think hard about how much granularity of the information you really need about where and when the vehicle was.

The one you mentioned does everything except cook breakfast. Think about whether you really need that level of detail on the info. I'm in no way implying that you don't.....More features aren't always necessarily better if you are using 3 out of the 100 it offers. since the complexity of getting that info from the 3 features may be buried in a sea of data.

So my advice would be to find the simplest one that meets all of your needs, check out the reviews (software bugs, issues, company doesn't fix any SW issues.....)---basically the old adage to make sure you get what you paid for but that it was not too good to be true at that price.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

Thank you for your suggestions. I am at a loss on these devices as they and the science are all new to me. I simply want to keep track of a special car, were it is located, where it is going etc. Speed is not so much a concern, and mechanical issues, well I don't know anything about that. Can some one suggest a good, easy to use and inexpensive tracker that plugs into the OBD port so I do not have to take the car and have it hard wired?
Thanks for your help.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

How special is this car to you? The reason I ask is that while these types of OBD piggyback devices are simple plug n a little play, are you concerned about the drivers possibly removing the device to elude tracking? The OBDII port on a 3rd gen sat like yours is in plain sight, not sure if there is a way to secure. Although the one you mentioned had a backup battery to let you know it had been removed.

Not prying, just making a statement: if this is to track a car driven by a family member who will know the tracker is there and the consequences for removing it, they should be less likely to be inclined to do so. If it for tracking where the driver will not know it is there and they are not tech savvy, removal does not seem to be as much of a concern.

Either situation can be handled through SW.....

If you could answer as to the chance of removal while I go surf the web, that should work out.....

Last edited by derf; 11-27-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, this is getting interesting

The below is for reference info. Should help you determine which path to take.

Based on your initial proposed device, I assume you're looking for real time, but the following is some nice reference material

Two distinct types of models are available. Whether you need to know where a vehicle is now or need to know where a vehicle has been. We have the tracking system to meet your needs. Choosing the device that is right for you will provide the best most efficient and beneficial means of obtaining the information you need.

GPS Data Loggers or Historical Event Recorders

Data loggers are by far the most economical type of tracking system. Historical type tracking systems provide the benefit of capturing the travel path of a vehicle for later retrieval and downloading without the monthly fees required for real time or remote access devices. Generally they are battery powered and can easily be removed from a vehicle for download. This type of system will usually provide more data or points along the travel path. The SkyTRX Mini Tracker will store its location at a rate of about 1 coordinate every second. These coordinates are downloaded and displayed on a map or report providing the history of the vehicles travels.

GPS Real Time or Remote Access Trackers

Remote access systems require monthly fees. These fees are required to cover the costs associated with the cellular component uploading the GPS information to a server. Real time GPS Systems allow the user to access a vehicles' location from the convenience of their home or office computer. Often times these systems are programmed to gather and upload information at predetermined times or they use a locate now feature of a web based control panel. This type of system offers the convenience of accessing the travel path of the vehicle without the need to remove or have direct contact with the device physically.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

OK, now that I have all your input, it would seem that my choice MIGHT be

Mas-Track-OBD Live GPS Tracker w Battery Backup: Cost (Device): $89.99

Works on Mobile Networks (for data transmission): ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile

Offers:
--Where vs When data
--Out of area/into area alerts
--Varying positional reporting intervals (by service package)
--Backup Battery designed to send 1 signal /10 min for 1 hour if unplugged
--Removal Alert

Data Interface:

--Web only (no standalone app)

Service Packages:

Essentials: Cost: $16/mo
Premium: Cost: $18/mo
Offer different/additional real time reportable features--- CHECK WITH COMPANY

Basic info, can provide more detailed info by selection of package.

May wish to add a right-angle ODBII extension cord and run it lower on dash. Your call. Tape over lights w electrical tape.

Hope that helps.

TrackPort GPS Vehicle Tracker
Accutracking Starter Kit
GoTrack EZ Real-Time GPS Vehicle Tracker

Last edited by derf; 12-01-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 AM

Hey Derf, I had no idea these things were available. With mine being a 94 AND having a FI installation kit on my 1980 Spirit which uses a MOPAR engine management package which is a 94/95 Jeep Grand Cherokee I had a problem a couple years back even getting a scan tool that would work on my Saturn. All that I looked at clearly stated that they would not work with a Saturn and apparently as the Saturn had some form of proprietary pre-OPD I system that was no longer compatible with scan tools being made at the present and the MOPAR system was INDEED OBD-I. I finally solved my problem by purchasing a used Snap On tool system that was no longer in use. And it works for both cars.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

actron CP9145 +Actron obd II to obd I (ALDL) adapter cable, I believe.

Even read real time data that seemed reasonable on my 95.

Adapter cable is going extinct, my old neighbor owns the CP9145 which is a discontinued obdii low end scanner with real time data. He had to use it just last week on his only remaining pre-CAN vehicle. At the exact time I asked to buy it. F me.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 AM

I guess I do not know what tomorrows automobile hobbyist is going to do if they try to restore a car that has the electronics that have become standard on one built since the 1980's . I see that to some extent now where things are ripped out and retrofitted to an earlier or a stand alone configuration. But by in large if something has collector cash value, originality is what gives it a value. And lacking engine control and smog equipment the originality is lost.
I am aware of some garage manufacturing of counterfeit and sham smog equipment for some cars that do have collector cash value, but it is way too expensive for the casual hobbyist.
But to be honest at that level, a collector car becomes a piece of art and rarely has a functional requirement attached to it.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by uncljohn
But to be honest at that level, a collector car becomes a piece of art and rarely has a functional requirement attached to it.
Reading that last line provoked a visual flashback to the Barrett-Jackson auctions.

Am I jealous they have more disposable income than I? Sure am.
Would I love to have a vintage restored or survivor vehicle? Sure would.

But just knowing that many of the people that purchase these collector cars are doing it simply because they can, and not out of true want, necessity, or intent to ever DRIVE THE CAR, pisses me off to no end.

If it's a Hemi 'Cuda, that's one thing.
If I'm rich enough to buy a $250k car, I'm rich enough to repaint it every 3 years to get the rock chips fixed.
Or every year.
Or every month.
Plus I can afford to hire someone who does nothing else but tend to my car collection, starting the engines frequently to keep the engines functional.

Otherwise, it's all for bragging rights shared around someone's kitchen table drinking cheap American Lite beer.

I'm sure the guy that designed the car envisioned it living out its life in a warehouse full of auto bling....

Quick Reply: OBD II on 2002 Saturn SL 2