Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Major Tune Up Input

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 PM

I cannot buy memories included with a new car. I have a ton of history with My Saturn. Yes, it's literally worthless, but I am NOT abandoning it. My main goal right now is to keep it running until I get a new car. I NEVER plan on letting go of this car. Its not about money, it's not about the value of the car, it's about keeping some of my so very few good memories I had growing up.

I do not care what anyone thinks, this is my Saturn, I will love It forever and do all I can to keep it alive.

I actually want to find an identical Saturn to this one. Thank God It has lived as long as it has and is still alive!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

So you have some sentimental attachment to this car, find a similar car with low miles and swap the power train. I had a Metro for 6 years and I had a lot of fun upgrading the car. In the end only the sheet metal was original. It started out with a 3 cylinder and ended up with a Suzuki Swift 4 cylinder. Since you live in California there are smog checks to deal with. If you are happy with the sohc and the automatic that's the way to go to get it past the smog *****.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
5: Now is the check engine light on?
6: The rest is done only if needed.
7: Don't replace coils until they die
8: Wires are always a good idea, but if it runs on 4 cylinders it can wait.
9: Sensors should be changed if they are bad
10: Gaskets should be replaced if they are leaking.
Nuff said.

It's nice to go in thinking about freshening EVERYTHING up -- but if it's not broken don't fix it.........

Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 AM

Not all of those need to be done right now, some do, the others are getting there. The valve cover gasket is destroyed so of course it needs a new one. The thermostat is dead in my car. A couple sensors are bad. The coils are fine, don't plan on replacing them anytime soon unless they die.

Again that list is of everything I could think of that could be a problem. Some are confirmed in need of service, others will need it soon, and the rest is a reminder to know they are there.

I am surprised it looks like nobody has mentioned an oil change, then again that's an obvious thing that shouldn't need a reminder.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:34 AM

I don't know if the intake manifold gasket issues go back to the 94 model, but if you have a slightly rough idle and the idle is around 950 or higher, then it would be worth checking it out. Just spray some type of fluid around the #1 intake port (the failure point is the upper outboard corner) and see if the idle changes. You can use almost anything, propane, carb cleaner, starter fluid, wd-40. If the gasket is leaking, the idle will change.

Other than that, the usual, plugs and air filter. I would not replace the coils or wires unless there is a miss after replacing the plugs. Even then do a compression test first because if you have a leaking valve, new coils and wires are not going to help.

BTW, when I let my Saturn go, it had 275k on it and it ran almost like new, but I did take care of it. If I hadn't decided to retire early, I'd probably still have it with around 400k. I'm pretty confident it would have made it.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:06 AM

If you are going to go through all that, you may as well just rebuild the car ground up.
Believe me, I understand the sentimental value. I feel the same way about my 03 (I am only 21, I spent half my child hood in that car).
If the motor itself is on its last leg though, you may as well get a beater, and rebuild the Satty ground up. Literally, everything. Complete restoration.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by goaliemo
If you are going to go through all that, you may as well just rebuild the car ground up.
Believe me, I understand the sentimental value. I feel the same way about my 03 (I am only 21, I spent half my child hood in that car).
If the motor itself is on its last leg though, you may as well get a beater, and rebuild the Satty ground up. Literally, everything. Complete restoration.
To be honest, I have chosen to not only preserve the ride, but also the sound. I am looking into a new vehicle and storing this one in running condition. So I will do what it takes to keep this Saturn running.

I am now looking to buy a full identical Saturn. 199* SL1 SOHC Saturn. THAT one I will restore and do serious work for a long life. I Want the same exact Satty.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

if you want the EXACT same Satty, then why the 199*?
So you've gone from

---fixing the 94 SL1 with a ton of sentimental value

to

---finding the exact same car and rebuilding engine/tranny and who knows what else on THAT?

The only differences between the 94SL1 you have and one you might buy is the mileage---on the engine, body, suspension and tranny.

The cylinder liners can be honed if needed and if they are worn, I believe oversized rings were available from Saturn.

If you had to you could buy a reman block with new cylinder liners

If you've already decided to buy a duplicate and rebuild it------how do you know what it needs in terms of a rebuild? It is likely to need reringing, valve job, valve guide seals.........

So does the one that's in front of you

Advice: SLOW DOWN.

You seem to be making snap decisions left and right regarding your path forward that are all over the spectrum. These types of decisions often don't turn out to be the best ones in the end.

Take a breather and decide what you really want to do.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 PM

Before I became a member on here, I had decided with another great friend that I will no longer do major work on this Saturn. I decided that because this has priceless memories, I am going to do little things and the big repairs will be as needed to keep it running. It will preserve it's life but also the sounds, how it runs, etc. I will lock up this Saturn like a diamond.

Yes, I am all over the map, but I just got so excited being with other Saturn lovers. I have never met anyone who loves them as much as I do. My excitement was that others know how I love my Satty, and how I will never abandon it because a lot of them have loved a Saturn too.

So finally, everything I have mentioned on here, I will do, but on an identical Saturn should it be needed. As for The random customizations, I will still do those but they will be installed on my new Satty. I can still build the circuits now so I just have to install when I get my new Saturn. But I don't want to change the Saturn I have loved for so many years. The reason I say 199* is because if the 93 or 95 is identical in every way but different in ways I can live with, I'll consider those years.

Last edited by dwd375; 08-02-2015 at 10:43 PM.