Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:29 PM

Ok, so the Taiwan lights that I was sent weren't bad, but they still are not great quality. They looked almost like the OEMs with the same adjusters and they fit good. One of them, the two separate lights aren't lined up. What I mean is that the low beam is at a different elevation than the high beam. And yes, the LED bulb sucks in the halogen reflector.

So, I am going to take the lenses off my old ones, do the HID projector retrofit as suggested, and put the new clear lenses from the Taiwan lights back on my old housings. I will go with the bi xenon with low and high beam in one hole, and just use the hi beams for the DRL.

Last edited by Dtruck1; 04-29-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Wrong word, damn I suck tonight.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:19 PM

atleast your adjusters work, when I got my aftermarket clear lamps, the adjusters were made of chinesium. Had to take everything apart and put the old stock ones in. Otherwise, they look nice. I wish I went with nos trim but the aftermarket will do for now.

I am curious, which car is this going in, the 94 or the 01? Im assuming the 01. I always wish I found the post (on one of the forums) that showed me how to wire the lights so the low beams stayed on with the highs, but what your doing will work just fine. I know the writeup is out there for the 3rd gens, maybe you can hook it up so you will get brights from both lenses. I know my brothers projectors have a solenoid to actuate the blockoff plate, hopefully that thread that hooks them together will give you an idea on how to hook them up. Unless you wire them to a seperate switch all together, but that would become confusing (at least for whomever other than you drives the car).

Do post pics, for sure.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 AM

Yes, the 01. My dad daily drives the 94. He had given it to me, but I returned it when I purchased the 00 SL1. The way I would wire up the headlights for both to come on on the bright side is just to daisy chain the lows off the high beams and throw a diode in there to prevent potential from running back to the highs when the lows are on. Some with mention that running double the bulbs on one circuit is a recipe for disaster, but the HID lights run at about half the amperage that the halogens do. Reason for the ballasts that come with them.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 PM

Hey guys and gals, the moment you have all been waiting for. I have ordered the mini H1 complete retrofit kit from www.theretrofitsource.com, and when they get here I'll do a write up with pics of the install. I already have the lenses off my original headlights. It wasn't that hard getting them apart, just used a hook pick and went around the entire perimeter of the light to slice the sealant, then pulled the lenses off. More to come.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:17 PM

Been considering LEDs front and back on our car as well. Thanks for the reviews dtruck I'm very interested on how it turns out

Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 PM

So, little progress on the headlights. I have the parts, but I have been trying to get our crops out. Rain has everything behind. I do know that the headlight wires hooked straight to the hid ballast won't turn the hid lights on. I haven't checked with my multimeter, but I'm guessing I'll have to use a separate relay to turn the hid lights on from the headlight switch.