Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Default LED headlights

With the new job, I have an hour commute each way. I have to be at work at 6am, so there is a lot of night driving for me. I already have Sylvania Silver Star Ultras in the stock housings, and they are good, but I'm looking for more. I would also like to see if there is any affect on mileage from the LED which operate at a fraction of the amperage of halogens. I will keep everyone posted. I have ordered new headlight housings with LED low beams. If I like them, I will upgrade the high beams. My headlight housing now are pretty sun damaged, so new lenses won't be a waste of money.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 PM

I wish you luck with the LEDs. I tried a set in my F250 and was not really satisfied. If your new housings have projectors in them you may have a different result than mine, but the leds in regular housings just scattered the light and didnt make the road much brighter. Got new housings and a nice set of bulbs and have been very happy since. You will also becloser to the ground, that may help

Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 AM

I have a set of aftermarket projectors in my Ram 2500 with an hid kit installed. They are ok, but they aren't that great. The headlight on the front of my sportster is a LED in a projector housing, and it rocks. The headlights housings I ordered for my car are halogen style reflectors. I may be returning them and look for projector housings.

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:55 PM

There aren't aftermarket projector housings for the S series that I'm aware of(maybe the SC if you're lucky), but that shouldn't stop you from doing a retro-fit... Your best bet, given the slim housings on the S series, is to grab some Mini H1 projectors and either make them bi-xenon(HID) or bi-LED... The main difference is the bulb, but TheRetrofitSource has kits to make anything happen that you want...

BtW, I have a bi-xenon projector retrofit in my redline, and the beam is way better than with the stock halogen reflector, and massively brighter at close range... Were I to do the retrofit over, I might get a nicer projector, like the FX-R setup, but of course, it's a bigger projector which might not fit in an S series housing...

Old 04-18-2016, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm not for putting HIDs in halogen housings, I hate the people that do that. If the halogen housings scatter the LED light all crazy, then I will retrofit them with projector housings. More to come.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dtruck1
Thanks for the info. I'm not for putting HIDs in halogen housings,

I hate the people that do that.
+22 on that

Old 04-20-2016, 08:03 PM

+1 on the retrofit source, my brother did them in his 250 with good quality HIDs and the difference is night and day. His are custom etched with an image that looks pretty badass. The way his came out make me want to do mine.
This is his post on their forum, he says they are extremely helpful if you want to go retrofit

bones, how easy was yours to do? you have a much smaller headlamp lolol

left is first run with smaller shrouds, right is final with new shrouds and halos. Some patience is required but done right your car would look bangin! Wont look out of place like most aftermarket ones do too lolol

Attached Thumbnails LED headlights-travhl.jpg   LED headlights-thl2.jpg   LED headlights-thl3.jpg  

Last edited by Octavious; 04-20-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:07 PM

I'll be honest, I didn't do mine, the PO did... I would like to do a new set using better headlight sealant and projectors, but I have yet to attempt a retro-fit...

Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 PM

When I get mine, if I decide to do the retrofit, I'll do a write up and post it here.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 PM

By all means, please post pics of the retrofit, or just the new housings...

Quick Reply: LED headlights