Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Intermittent no power to fuel pump and gauge reads empty

Old 01-13-2016, 04:11 PM

I'm not quite sure what security is doing when it does it. As far as I know the security system on a '99 doesnt lockout the fuel/fire like it does on a '00 and up. I've tried the security reset several time with no change. So far the only thing I can repeatedly do is take a hairdryer to the PCM and heat it up for a few minutes and it comes on as it should.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

I asked about the security system erroneously thinking that the Passlock system was implemented in these cars in 99. It was implemented in 2000 as far as I know. Which explains why you can't tell me what the security system is doing because you have no security system status light.

Sorry.

Indeed it should just be a starter disable on the earlier models.

I'll have to look at a generalized schematic for the coupes and figure out which wires to wiggle/contacts to clean as a last ditch effort before condemning the PCM.

PCM failures in S cars are EXTREMELY RARE. I think I remember only 2 or 3 on this forum in the 11 yrs I've been on here -- but one of those was indeed diagnosed with a hair dryer.

Kevin,
Could you please update you signature to match the format outlined in my first PM to you? Thanks.

The format may seem a bit **** retentive but it keeps all of us from having to ask things like "where in the country are you" w/r/t diag of this problem. Are you in a state where the temp is 80 deg or 8 deg?

Last edited by derf; 01-13-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 AM

Sig done, I thought I did it before but probably got sidetracked and didn't 'save' it.

As far as wires go, I've tried fiddling all over around the area and moving every wire I could find, even wiggling the wires and connections in the steering column with no apparent change. Sometimes I could move things around and it would come on, but I could never repeat by moving the same thing, so I figure it was just coincidental that it activated properly at the same time I was doing that.

I'd like to rule out the PCM as the cause (I've heard too that its *very* rare for them to fail, but there is that small chance they still do), but so far thats the only logical thing I can think of that would be causing the problem and being 'fixed' by warming it up a little.

I've noticed that once I do heat it up, and get the car warmed up on those cold days, if I put the heat on high and just on the floor setting, it hasn't acted up while running. Getting it to that warmed up state to do this can be a chore though on some mornings at 4am when leaving for work.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

OK,

One last thing to recheck.

When the fuel pump cuts out:

1) Does the dome light work 100% of the time?
2) If you turn the headlights on, then open the driver door to get out, does the chime sound 100% of the time?
3) Do you plug high current draw devices into the lighter for long periods of time?
4) Do you have an aftermarket head unit spliced into the feed going to the lighter?

Yes, these are all F5 questions. I know you said you checked it. But it may be a connector / terminal contact problem that you cannot see.

Also, I don't remember the outcome of the IP BATT feed check.

When the car is acting up, check the IP BATT feed at the inside fuse panel. This runs straight to the battery (99% sure) and has nothing to do with the PCM.

If the IP BATT has no V on it, then that is why you see nothing on the relay. The power feed to EVERYTHING is not there.

________

The next time the car acts up, have a friend sit in the passenger seat and one at a time wiggle the crap out of F5 and the IP BATT incoming wire. This is more easily done w 2 people b/c the driver is trying to hold the clutch in, turn the key, and fiddle w wires all at once.

Also, instead of putting the hair dryer on the pcm, point it at the fuse panel while shielding the PCM from the heat. The heat should make any iffy contacts expand and become a more secure connection. It may be a terminal respringing is needed.

Please post back w results. I know I suggested IP BATT earlier but do not remember the response. I have a migraine, the screen is blurry, and I just can't read through it all right now.

I'm a stream of conscious thinker, so if it comes to me I have to write it down immediately or it's gone. Sorry if there are any redundancies

Old 01-15-2016, 05:33 PM

I'll see what I can check next time it acts up. Usually its very early in the morning and I'm the only person awake, or I'm driving somewhere alone and the only person in the car. Those factors usually rule out having someone assist with any testing.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Just a long shot idea, but see if there is any ground wire going from the frame to the tank, or fuel pump, maybe it has a corroded connection. Those are often exposed to the elements and can eventually make a bad connection. Not sure if Saturns have that or not.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

You can most definitely check for dome lamp and chime functionality If you are alone. If they both still work, then we absolutely rule out F5 issues.

Originally Posted by Kevin Miller
I'll see what I can check next time it acts up. Usually its very early in the morning and I'm the only person awake, or I'm driving somewhere alone and the only person in the car. Those factors usually rule out having someone assist with any testing.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 PM

They both definitely work all the time. Lots of the time I have to pull the chime fuse when I'm trying to start it because I get tired of hearing the 'ding ding ding ding ding ding' every time I turn the key off and on again.

Originally Posted by derf
You can most definitely check for dome lamp and chime functionality If you are alone. If they both still work, then we absolutely rule out F5 issues.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

IPBATT when acting up?

Old 09-25-2016, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Stumbled across this thread while searching for something else....

Kevin,

What was the outcome? Bad PCM?