Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Ignition cylinder will not turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Default Ignition cylinder will not turn

Have had lots of good info from this forum. Have utilized it for about 15 or 16 years. Could do a search and find about anything needed. But not this time. Have Haynes Repair Manual but it may take to long to take the cylinder out.

My 98 SL2 ignition cylinder is frozen and will not turn. Have tried rocking the steering wheel but it will not turn.

Key is out. Can put key in slot and take out very easy. Almost no resistance.

Car is located about 380 miles from home. It is currently located in a home garage but need to get it out.

When parked the car in the garage, had no problem with ignition switch. Could start and drive car. It would start easy.

Last two times was back there, ignition cylinder would not turn.

Transmission currently locked in park. Cannot move selector lever even with standing on brake pedal.

HELP. I just need to be able to load the front end on a tow dolly and tow it home.

Would quickest way to start car be to drill out the cylinder? Need detailed instructions on how to drill. Had a 89 Ford van stolen 10 years ago. The ignition cylinder “disappeared” and I learned to use a screwdriver to move the lever to start and run until I installed a new cylinder.

As I need to get the Saturn home, would drill and use screwdriver to start and run upon tow dolly.

Need detailed instructions on how and where to drill and how and where to use screwdriver.

Last question. If somebody tried to move or rock the Saturn while in Park, would that mess up the safety start switch linkage?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:22 AM

I'd try some powdered graphite in the key hole and then insert the key and try turning it while lightly tapping on it with a hammer. I have never removed the lock assembly on one of these, but am sure if you do a youtube search, you'll find more than one video. There's a guy named richpin that has excellent videos on Saturns. You might try searching him on youtube. Here's a video by richpin.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 10-29-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Get some graphite POWDER from Depot (ask at the lock department). Puff some into the lock opening and work gently back and forth with the key.

PUSH on the key and try to rotate it further OFF (not on).

I think the spring loaded tab that pops down to cover the keyhole is hung up. When this happens, the key comes out with no resistance, and you can put it back in equally as easily, but the lock (as far as it knows) hasn't released the key, so it is waiting for that shutter to close to allow completion of a key in - run- key out cycle. You're still on the key out portion of the last key cycle.

My 97 SC2 ignition will not let me restart the car (rotate the cyl) after running unless I completely remove the key, the shutter comes down, and the chiming if any, stops. Then I can reinsert the key an all is fine.

I only use graphite powder in my lock cylinders. You may have a bit of rust spot in there; do NOT use WD-40. You can also try goofy things like slightly heating up the key to make it expand just enough to grab the edge of the shutter and release it. If you have a PAsslock 2 or 3 key , do at your own risk.

A few taps with a SMALL BALL PEEN hammer while pushing and rotating to off with the key in, may jar it loose.

If you should get it loose, immediately lube that cylinder with the graphite powder and keep up on it to avoid future problems.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Rube types faster than I.....

Old 10-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Thanks Rube. derf agreed.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:55 PM

Derf. Thanks. You clarified my concern about using a hammer.

If cannot get it to turn, think will revert to gentle persuasion and drill out. See separate post about drilling.

The realtor is very unhappy and wants the Saturn out. But who cares. She is trying to earn a commission. Besides, my opinion is she overpriced the house. My friend is not going to be happy with the lower price, if it sells. Could write a novel but a lot of people have been through that.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

just remember -- Richpin's video is about removing the ign cyl -- my advice was to get it functional again so you can get the car out of there.

I truly believe you need to push and turn COUNTER clockwise to get the cylinder set for another start cycle.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:12 AM

Derf is right, man. Try what we've suggested first. You start drilling, you'd best know how to handle the drill so you don't get it off center and eff something up in the hole so the new lock cylinder won't function. Personally, I wouldn't want all of those shavings in my steering column.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:25 PM

Used graphite powder. Inserted key. Rocked steering wheel but still key would not turn. Took key out and sprayed in more graphite. Repeated another two times and was finally able to turn ignition key. The graphite certainly helped. The graphite powder now allows the key to turn easier than it used to.

Have used graphite on door locks. Now will use graphite powder on other vehicles. Both in ignition and doors.

Am going to use on locks around home. Should help.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Stick around and contribute or ask questions. You can learn a lot about your car here.

Quick Reply: Ignition cylinder will not turn