Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

How to drill out ignition cylinder and use screwdriver to start 98 SL 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Default How to drill out ignition cylinder and use screwdriver to start 98 SL 2

Car is located about 380 miles from home. It is currently located in my friend's home garage but need to get it out. I purchased a 07 Chrysler from him. He had tried to sell for over two years. So I helped him out. Parked Saturn in his garage when took Chrysler out. Now his house is being sold and need to bring Saturn back home.

When parked the car in the garage, had no problem with ignition switch. Could start and drive car. It would start easy.

Now ignition cylinder frozen and will not turn. Key is out. Can put key in slot and take out very easy. Almost no resistance. Have tried rocking the steering wheel but it will not turn. Do you think I need to bear down on the rocking?

Transmission currently locked in park. Cannot move selector lever from park even with standing on brake pedal.

HELP. I just need to be able to load the front end on a tow dolly and tow it home.

Is quickest way to start car to drill out the cylinder? Need detailed instructions on how to drill. Had an 89 Ford van stolen 10 years ago. The ignition cylinder “disappeared” and I learned to use a screwdriver to move the lever to start and run until I installed a new cylinder.

As I need to get the Saturn home, am willing to drill and use screwdriver to start and run upon tow dolly. From what I picked up on this forum, appears I drill where I insert key. But do not know.

Need detailed instructions on how and where to drill and how and where to use screwdriver.

Last question. If somebody tried to move or rock the Saturn while in Park, would that mess up the safety start switch linkage?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

If the wheels are straight I would disconnect the shift cable to get it out of park. You can roll it out of the garage and down the drive way. Turning it will not be pretty, you will have to drag the back of it with a chain. Load it on a tow dolly and deal with it at home. I bought a car 350 miles from home recently and it had no key. No problem I took my car trailer to go get it, there was a tractor on a trailer parked crossways in front of it. I just took a chain and drug the front of it around until I could come-a-long it on the trailer. You can do it! Drilling out the ignition would be my last resort. I would disassemble the column and take the lock to a lock shop first.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:33 PM

Was able to turn key by using graphite powder and time. Keep rocking the steering wheel and adding more graphite. Key is now easier to turn than before.

Saturn still not home as did not have time to rent tow dolly. Hope to have Saturn home soon.

Thanks for help.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Saved yourself a lot of unnecessary work with a little graphite. Glad you asked a question. Good job!