Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

ECM going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

throttle position sensor flaking out and sending crap data telling the ECM to cut back on the fuel and timing advance? And who knows what after that? Without that part of the feedback loop you're gonna have a mess.

If you have a real-time data monitoring tool, config to follow the TPS signal and just keep driving.

Or it could be a bad coil that only acts up when it feels like it......

Old 08-02-2016, 04:50 PM

Ok, as I sit here waiting on the parts to put my John Deere 3020's transmission back together, I have gone back to tracking down the problem with the car stalling. So, it has gotten considerably worse last week. I bought some high dollar injector cleaner, and it seems to have fixed it. I replaced the tps with an AC Delco part, and no change. I'm thinking inspectors. So, there appears to be 2 types. Skinny long ones and fat short ones. Rock auto claims both will fit my 2001 SOHC. Any benefit to each?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

buy the stock style and reduce the variables by one.....

The listings for some of the injectors have a note, "SL1 to 600" and "SL1 from 600".

Looks like hey used the stubbies up to 600 (not sure if that is part of the VIN or what), then switched to the long thin ones mid year.

So you need to solve the 600 mystery to figure out which one is the right one for your vehicle -- or just pull one from your car.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:04 AM

Ok, my car has the skinny injectors. Just didn't know if they were interchangeable, or if one was more reliable than the other.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a cause of all my problems with the engine stalling.

Before I reveal the cause, let me stress how much of a diesel guy I am. Out of 4 vehicles, and 3 tractors, this is the only gas powered vehicle I have, other than the bike. Now, I have changed countless spark plugs in my life, so you would think I could accomplish a simple task as such.

So, when I pulled the plugs to change them out with the NGK units I got from Rock Auto (in an original Saturn box!) I noticed that they had signs of blowback. I noticed after I had installed the new plugs to what I thought was snug enough. Well, got the torque wrench out and torqued them to 20 ft-lbs. They turned another 3/4 turn.

Turns out my problems were self inflicted. I was so worried about stripping the threads in the head, that I didn't seal the plugs. Mistake on my part, but I normally deal with cast iron heads that are nice and thick.

Changed the plugs two days ago, and it has not died yet. If it does, I'll report back. On the other hand, the engine runs smoother with the new injectors. Seems to have a bit more power too.

Face palm!!!!!