Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Driver's Seat Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:32 AM
Default Driver's Seat Rebuild

Hi Guy's, I tried to post this before buy guess it didn't take so here goes. The driver's seatback on my Granddaughter's 97 SL2 is worn bad and I 'm wondering if the good passenger's seatback on my parts car will fit. The seatback looks the same so I'm fixing to find out. Nothing to loose here but time. If it fits, I'll go to Pick and Pull to see if I can match the upholstery. Most passenger's seat are in almost new condition so for $25, I may have a new seat. The foam for my Falcon cost me $120 a set, so this will be a cheap fix.I'll be sure to post my findings for others if it works.

Glenn

Old 05-17-2015, 01:25 PM

The only mentions of seat swaps I can find is from one car to another. Apparently all s-series seats are compatible with all years. I don't know about same car side to side. The padding and fabric will swap, but I'm not sure about the frame. It depends on how the ratchet mechanism for the recline is built in regards to the seat back. Having never done it, or even looked into it, I don't have a straight answer for you.
Like you said, might as well pop them off and have a look.
Here's some links to some of the forums I looked in.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84190
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145410

EDIT:
Actually, I just found this. Maybe this will help.

"The only parts that will swap from drivers side to passenger side and vise versa are:

seat back frame
head rests
seat back foam
seat back fabric
seat bottom foam
seat bottom fabric

Parts that won't swap from drivers side to passenger side are:

seat bottom frame (drivers side is narrower than the passenger side)
seat tracks (they're mirror images of one another, and provisions for the narrower seat bottom frame and height adjustment are different)
seat bottom spring assembly (because of the narrower frame)
recliner assembly (mirror image of the opposite side)
trim (except escutcheon for the headrest, that will swap over)
lumbar support "
From here, post #77 http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=88699&page=4

Last edited by Dave4422; 05-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Rube -- I thought you swapped in your passenger seat in place of your driver's, no?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM

I haven't got around to doing the seat yet but managed to take the headliner out. Not a hard task except for getting it out of the car. I carefully squeezed it slightly and got it out through the trunk with the seats folded down. Tried every which way but not enough room to turn it and get it out the doors. I ordered 2 yards of material and headliner glue for $60.00. Most shops wanted $150 to do it. I'll let you know if it'll cost me more if I don't get it glued right.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Would you be willing to write up a quick How-To for the S series headliner removal?

Including things the location of the clips/latches for the trim pieces around the headliner, how to get the courtesy light out w/o breaking it, what tools to use and NOT to use for trim removal, etc
Would be much appreciated

Thanks

Old 05-28-2015, 10:48 AM

Derf, Here's the video I watched which may help more than I could write an article on how to remove the headliner. Mind you, this with the help of a 11 year old.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

The video documents not only how to remove things properly but also how things WILL break if you don't know what's there.

Sweet

Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 PM

I found a few things that may be of interest while removing the headliner. Pay close attention to the slide for the seatbelt. You will need a small pick or jewelers screwdriver to remove the clip as shown in the video. On the dome light, I slid the whole thing from the passenger's side towards the driver's side to release the 2 hooks first, then lowered it to release the single hook. I luckily didn't break the hooks. This was on the 97 SL2. Now on the 98 SL2, you must remove the clear lens first, then you will see 2 screws which must be removed. If you don't, you'll break the lens housing. The 3rd brake light housing just unsnaps by pulling down on JUST the outer cover. The side trim also unsnaps. I used a trim removal tool, but it can be done with a flat tip screwdriver. I removed the top dash pad to make it easier to remove the side moldings over the driver's and passenger's door. There are 2 screws after removing the two plugs on either side of center. Just use a pick to pop it out. I hope this helps and good luck.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Default Seat questions

I am at a point where I need to replace the driver side seat on my 2002 SL2.

With regards to the questions here, is the seat one unit or does it come in pieces?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Flanker7
I am at a point where I need to replace the driver side seat on my 2002 SL2.

With regards to the questions here, is the seat one unit or does it come in pieces?
Saturn seats come out as one unit.

Is it just the padding that needs replacing or the whole seat frame? If it's just the padding, then you should be able to change that with the passenger seat, or find it in a junk yard. See my post above for parts that are interchangeable from passenger side to drivers side.

The problem with S-class seats is that they're ALL worn out by now.

Quick Reply: Driver's Seat Rebuild