Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Drivers Door Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Banned
Default Drivers Door Leaking

I just bought a 2002 Saturn SL1 and replaced the drivers side door seal because the old one was falling apart, but the door is still leaking. Last night it rained and this morning i got in the car to find a massive lake in the floor. Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:57 PM

Sunroof?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Banned

It does have a sunroof, it might be the cause because the motor for it doesn't work. The more i think about it now the more i think that might be from water damage. Though it's strange because the only place there is ever water is on the drivers side front floorboard.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM

When I see this, the first thing I check is the drain holes at the bottom of the door. There should be two or more square holes at the seam where the inner door frame and the outer door skin meet.

When it rains, or you wash your car, water will always get into the door cavity by the window. It does not matter how good the window seal is, water will get by, so the manufacturers put those drain holes at the bottom of the door. If they get plugged up, water will start filling the cavity until it can get over the inner door frame and onto the floorboard.

A sunroof has a drain at each corner, but if the drain clogs up, there should be evidence in the head liner.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:14 AM

I hate to say I solved a problem this way, but I had one similar a number of years ago. I ended up adding additional holes In the floor. It did not solve the fact that it leaked, but it did help in keeping the floor dry. I don't even remember if I ever found out where the leak was coming from. Just that I had to resort to a stupid cure in order not to be plagued by it.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by uncljohn
I hate to say I solved a problem this way, but I had one similar a number of years ago. I ended up adding additional holes In the floor. It did not solve the fact that it leaked, but it did help in keeping the floor dry. I don't even remember if I ever found out where the leak was coming from. Just that I had to resort to a stupid cure in order not to be plagued by it.
Sorry I haven't replied to you guys all weekend, i've been outof town and away from my computer. I haven't noticed any new water in the floorboards (but it also hasn't rained this weekend). As for drilling holes in the floor, i'm not entirely against that at this point. But tell me one thing, when you had water leaking in, was it causing a service engine light to appear? I forgot what the actual code is that is registering with the light, but essentially it's saying there is a connector wet.

Also, Keith, there is evidence in the head liner of old water damage, along with the sunroof motor being inoperable

Old 03-09-2015, 01:14 PM

First things first, start with checking the door drains. If you don't check these first, that would be like taking a shower without getting undressed first.

I am not knowledgeable about sunroof drains, you may need to go to a body shop or a dealer about these. This is why I don't buy a car with a sunroof, they are a lot more trouble than they are worth.

I doubt that your MIL is related to this problem. Have the code read and post the actual code (P0xxx) here, not what someone says the code means, and we can help you with that too.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Banned

I'll check the door drains when i get off work, i think i know what you're talking about though. Are they the two holes at the bottom of the door? Also, the code is U1300

Old 03-10-2015, 04:52 PM

Yes, usually 2 but sometimes three

Last edited by keith; 03-10-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 PM

I gave away my factory service manual when I sold my Saturn so I can't help you with a U code but from what I can tell, it is a short circuit on the data buss. Are your gauges working OK? Gas, speedo, temp??

Quick Reply: Drivers Door Leaking