Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Driver seat help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Default Driver seat help

Hey Y'all,

When the weather warms up, one of the things I want to do for my '95 SL1 is change out the driver seat. It's pretty wore, and the back seems to have a left lean, most likely from the standard push to get out of the car. I've looked online and did a forum search, and can't find the compatibility chart for which years will direct bolt in. No issue with seat belts, so if they mount separately that's cool.

Seats are all manual, this is a very basic car.

Before I start hunting at the bone-yard, any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

i think they can be swapped driver for passenger -- I know rube did it for one of his s cars (?).

1st Gen sedans were 91-96 so those should fit. Later gen seats may also fit -- dunno if they changed them along the way.

Come to think of it -- are the sedan and coupe bucket seats the same? Would have made sense to keep production and therefore car prices down......

We miss you , Rj......

Last edited by derf; 02-01-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 PM

Any of the S car seats should fit, Ginny. From 93-99, I'm pretty sure they all mount the same. You need a special "star" socket to fit the damn bolts that hold the mounts to the floorboard, though. Pull-A-Part in Nashville has quite a few S series cars. Just pull up their site at pullapart.com and you can even see what row they're on and how much you'll need to pay. They used to have them all in the same area, but for some reason they integrated them with all the other GM junk. Pissed me off, as now I have to search a hundred rows of cars to find 3 or 4 parts. If you don't have the tools and don't want to buy the socket, let me know and maybe the next fairly warm day we have, I can meet you and DH there and give you a hand. That way, I can grab some parts I may want and get some for my buddy, derf. They show to have 36 different S series cars on the yard right now from 93 to 2000 models. As long as you don't care about having the same color as the one in your current ride, odds are pretty good that you can find a good seat. $24.95 per seat. CHEAP!

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 01-29-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 PM

I say buy some recaros from a RL. Or even some bucket seats from an SS.
My 03 is getting recaros when I find em.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 AM

Hey Rube, thanks for the info! I'm not sure when we will do this, it's a pretty weather project since the seat isn't horrible - yet. However, if/when we do go to the Nashville pull-apart, I will holler at you to see if we can meet up. I'll have DH look to see if he has the right socket, he might - never know as he's had a tool collection going for a while. We have a pretty good bone-yard in between Manchester and Tullahoma as well, but not sure what they have for Saturns. We got seats for the Safari and Exploder there cheap too. Since the car is white and interior grayish blue, I'm sure I can find something pretty compatible.

I tried to look at after-markets online Billy, but all I could find quickly was seat covers. I went to JC Whitney (back in the day they got a lot of our money) and couldn't find the right combination in the search to pull the actual seats up.

We're almost through January, the end of winter is almost in sight.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 AM

recaros/bucket seats came stock in the ion redline/slobalt ss.
Just gotta watch the forums/ebay, they pop up.

03 04 05 06 07 ion Red Line Front Seat s Bucket Rear Back Back Cushion Recaro | eBay

youll be in love.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Torx Driver.

Don't know about the L and Ions, but the S car is a rolling Torx fastener collection.

Anything they didn't want the average joe (sw2 you are not the average joe so this does not apply to you) to **** with they used a torx fastener.

If you plan on long term s car ownership, you'd best get your hands on a reasonably full set of Torx drivers and Torx socket mounted bits.

I would recommend T10 up thru T30, min for both Torx driver and socket mounted bits. The bits are great for tight spaces and where you need the leverage. As long as your sets cover this range you should be good to **** with all the things you were never supposed to **** with. Which means properly maintaining ALL parts of your car.

Last edited by derf; 01-30-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM

DH has a lot of Torx bits, but will have to see how extensive his collection is. The good thing is we have a Harbor Freight not too far away and a Northern Tool equidistant in the other direction. Thanks for the sizing suggestion so I know what to look for.

Sheesh, I remember when it was just standard, metric and allen wrenches. We were all set for that.

We are known to do the necessary modifications to maintain our own stuff. Very little will be farmed out - pretty much anything shy of a motor swap out we keep in-house. That's why we have older stuff!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I hear ya -- along the lines of why most of my 20 year old 95 sl2 shines almost like new with all clear coat intact (except the spoiler).

It's called wax.

Once before winter.
Once before summer.

Just that simple.

(It's in my profile pic album. Love the bra look but regret it based on what it looks like now under there and the fact that the snaps are all rusted so if I try to remove it I'll never get it back on. Kinda funny -- I've had the car so long, bras are starting to come back in style.....)

Old 01-30-2015, 05:32 PM

He will need torx sockets, Ginny, not torx bits. I've got a small set of 3/8 drive sockets that I got from Lowes. Kobalt tools are pretty decent.

Quick Reply: Driver seat help