Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Do you dare venture into this Riddle, masked as an Enigma wrapped in a Conundrum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by keith
Since this is a rebuild, have you gone back to check the timing chain? Everything you have written indicated a timing chain that is exactly one tooth off.
When I did the rebuild, that was one thing I was certain to change, along with the slides and some other other stuff.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by derf
Sorry I misinterpreted "swapping in". My bad.

The reason I suggested you read the swap guide is because it is rich in compatibility info for different components across the different years.

For example you cannot swap in your new egr valve from the 93 as it is vacuum driven and the 97 uses an electronically controlled egr.

It's worth the read.

Yup, that is exactly why I'm sticking with a '97 S series model. Most of the items I've put into this car can be swapped over.
  • Coil Suspension
  • Struts
  • Strut top bearings
  • Suspension Bushings
  • Even the lower engine cradle
  • Motor mounts
  • Rear Disc brakes from my '93 (Completely rebuilt)
  • Front Disc brakes from my '93 (Completely rebuilt)
  • Fuel Filter
  • Fuel Pump (may just move the entire gas tank, since I know the '93 tank is clean and functioning properly)
  • LED lights in the instrument cluster
  • Wheels and tires (I have 15" wheels on my '93 right now)
  • Radiator and mounts
  • A/C units
  • Manual Tranny
  • Shifting cables for the Tranny
  • Battery
  • Battery heater
  • Block heater
  • I'll rebuild the 5-speed Transmission, since the Cross-pin is a weak point, might as well get in there and rebuild it, plus I have some extra parts from my previous 5-speed Tranny rebuild.

I actually intend on boring out the engine to squeeze as much power as possible out of it, while trying to maintain some decent gas mileage....

Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Can't swap tranny

MP2 (SOHC) vs MP3 (DOHC).

Well technically/physically you can but I believe it confuses the TCM and throws codes. Plus you miss out on the gear ratios designed for the DOHC
Also, before you do anything else, pull the timing chain cover and check the gears for correct timing alignment. Keith is quite wise on many things motor. Besides, after all of your hard work, isn't it worth a shot?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Can't swap tranny

MP2 (SOHC) vs MP3 (DOHC).

Well technically/physically you can but I believe it confuses the TCM and throws codes. Plus you miss out on the gear ratios designed for the DOHC
Also, before you do anything else, pull the timing chain cover and check the gears for correct timing alignment. Keith is quite wise on many things motor. Besides, after all of your hard work, isn't it worth a shot?
hmmmm, Either way, I'm going to take the MP3 Tranny apart and fix the weak Cross-pin. Here is a thread I did for my '93 Saturn Tranny
Hunt4Steve's 1993 MP2 5-spd Transmission rebuild - SaturnFans.com Forums