Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Considering another S-Series / Rebuilding a SL2/SW2

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:55 AM
Banned
Post Considering another S-Series / Rebuilding a SL2/SW2

I used to have a bare-bones 1994 SC1. It was alright, and like any other S-series, it burned oil quite a bit. At least once a week I was having to put half a pint in. Needless to say, it's nothing new or unheard of. Personally, I didn't like the SOHC engine due to how gutless it was even with a 5-speed, so next time around, i'm only going with a DOHC. My relative has a 2001 SC2 with a 5-speed and I love the way it performs even if it takes a little bit more fuel.

Recently, I was able to come across a 2002 SL2 5-speed with over 325K on the clock - no rust, original paint still in great condition, interior is fine, etc., all for $500. However, this time around, what I would like to do is completely rebuild it. Every maintenance part or part that should be replaced for preventive maintenance would be replaced with either OEM or premium brand parts. Thanks to Rockauto and the access to GM AC Delco (Not reboxed Chinese-made crap AC Delco) I can get all the parts for roughly $1500 or less. Only thing I couldn't find were the OEM mounts which I can get on Amazon or Ebay for a decent price.

I can't remember if it was this Saturn page, or another one, but I was able to come across a user by the name of SaturnDoc or DocSaturn or something along those lines that lives right here in the central Illinois area that used to be a Saturn tech with 15+ years of experience that offered to do a rebuild for another user. Asides replacing the parts, I am also looking into getting the engine and transmission entirely rebuilt too. I'd do it all myself, but the townhouse complex I live in forbids car maintenance to be done in the parking lot. Also, no one I know has the space or garage to do such work either.

As a last resort, I can take it in to a trustworthy and dependable shop or GM dealership to do the engine rebuild and transmission rebuild, but not only do nearly all these shops forbid the customer to bring in their own parts (warranty reasons - I understand) but at least two GM dealerships within a 50 mile radius here won't even do it because they "don't work on Saturns anymore"

Money isn't really a factor here - just a matter of taking it to the right person who knows exactly what they're doing and has a lot of prior experience with Saturns, let alone, the S-series. My goal is to have a rebuilt Saturn to a like-new status without the oil consumption problem. I'd plan on keeping this car for awhile too. Purpose of this vehicle is simply for commuting and pleasure... not to race or mod it.

Any suggestions? Or anyone in the area can recommend someone personally?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:56 AM

If money's not a factor, then why don't you just shop around for an S series with the DOHC and a lot less miles on it. Drive it up to 300,000 and then either rebuild it or do it again? You're going to spend a hell of a lot of money if you have a shop rebuild both the engine and transmission, even if you find one that will let you supply the parts. There's no way I'd invest $5,000 dollars or more on an S series car that you'll never be able to get squat for in a few years. It doesn't make good economical sense to me. Lots of Saturns for sale on the internet. Craigslist or Ebay. Take your choice.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Banned

It would seem like a bad investment considering X-amount of money being put into a car only worth a minimal amount, but this car would would definitely be my last one I wouldn't plan on selling. I think of it like this.... I can buy a brand new car for $22,000 that will be expensive to ensure and register and considering how newer cars now days aren't as reliable or dependable as brand new cars were forty, thirty, or even twenty years ago. Not to mention with all the electronics inside these driveable computers (newer cars), a lot of them are now designed to where the average person can't work on them and that they must be taken in to a dealership for just about everything - even an oil change on some high-end cars.

Or, for an estimated investment of $10,000 or less, I can get all the parts, a rebuilt engine and transmission, hell - even a new paint job. On top of that, my insurance rates and registration will still be low because the car would be a lot older than a '16. Not to mention the access to aftermarket support and parts availability. Only downside is if it were to be totaled, the insurance company would only cut me a check for what the KBB or NADA value is.

This is just how I see it as. No one has to agree with me on it.

I drive a '96 accord right now and honestly, even these older Honda's aren't what everyone makes them out to be. You'd think holding onto this would be a better investment, but I don't think so.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

While I admire your enthusiasm, I must warn you that there is no such thing as non-China/Taiwan AC Delco Parts for Saturns. I've recently placed several RockAuto orders and they came PRINTED ON THE BOX Made in xxxxx.
Hasn't been long enough to judge quality and longevity based on the stereotypes applied to overseas parts; we'll see.

While you may be able to get parts to rebuild the whole car today, I severely doubt that will be the case in 5 years when something unexpectedly fails and go go looking for AC Delco replacements. Or any brand new replacements for that matter. The only ones you'll find are by Airtex/Wells and from the feedback received on this site I wouldn't use them as a door stop.

Unfortunately the S car new parts market is so unprofitable now that I don't see it existing at all in 5 years, when cars like my 97SC2 will be 24 yrs old and myself and 7 other people in the US are looking for new parts of any kind. So it will be awesome to revamp the entire car and enjoy it until something obscure or not so obscure breaks and you are rummaging in a junkyard looking for parts of unknown quality and reliability.

I'm not trying to wizz on your parade -- I'm trying to be realistic so that you don't go to all this effort (cost aside ) to get to drive it for 4 years and have it live at the end of your driveway because you can't find even a rebuilt power steering pump nor the gaskets to repair it. There are many Saturn only parts that were designed and used for S cars, and S cars only.

____

As for the car: I strongly suspect someone has already rebuilt that engine, as very few DOHCs make it to that mileage without one. The compression and amount of clutch left should be good indicators to start with. It's obviously been cared for but you can only slow down mechanical wear by so much, And many of the electrical parts were just not designed for an end of life 15 let alone 25 years after their install. Too many heat cycles, etc. BCMs in s cars (3rd gen) are not nearly as bad in S cars as in L cars, but they still suck, the supply of new ones is vanishing, and if GM dealerships are refusing to work on a GM car, that' sad. lame, and a glaring indication that they cannot find AC Delco parts for everything. You'll need to immediately bypass the security system before it disables your vehicle due to a flawed design and G-D save the queen if you crack a windshield; the new ones were $500 10 years ago.

If that engine has already been rebuilt, I'd think you'd have to bore it out and get oversize pistons and rings if you can even find them. And if someone has already done so, you MAY be SOL.

The frame may be suspect if it was ever in an accident or it may be rusting through.

If the tranny has no problems, leave it the hell alone. New is not always better.

Ask when the shifter bushing was last replaced and what it was replaced with. Ask whether the original shift cables are still in there or if they have been replaced, and with what brand shifter cables.
I LOVE Saturns -- that's why I've been a mod on this board for 10 years; but your planned undertaking, while noble and probably creating jealousy to a point, is a nightmare in the making unless you are experienced and doing your own work, as a recent member on the site has done.

Nirvana will last as long as it takes for something unavailable to break down; so unless you plan to spend a mint in building a cache of maintenance parts and other more obscure items, I just don't see you enjoying the fruits of your efforts for nearly as long as you expect.

And $500 sounds like the engine runs fine but is worn out and needs a rebuild; the question is, how involved is that/has it already been bored out/can it be done?

Again, if money is no object and you can deal with the above realities, then the sky is the limit

Just trying to help you have realistic expectations if you decide to go forward.

95 SC2 236K miles (nephew, formerly mine)
97 SC2 253K miles (mine, DD)

Both already have rebuilt motors

Last edited by derf; 04-07-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Saturns don't have the cache or the following like rebuilding a 57 Chevy or 68 Camaro. Sure you can do it, and I'm not talking you out of it. But there might be better things to sink that amount of money into. Just keep your mind and your eyes open before diving in!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Banned

Thank you everyone from your advice, guidance, and support on this topic! I gave it some thought, and maybe investing into another Saturn may not be the best bet and I just may be better off keeping my '96 accord instead that I've already put a lot of work into. There's something about these S-series Saturn's that just can't be defined. Performance. Reliability. Fuel economy....I'd like to think if there was more of a demand for Saturn to be brought back from the grave, then production can continue once again at Spring Hill, TN.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Somehow I don't see GM retooling the Spring Hill Plant anytime soon. Right now they're building the Equinox, GMC Terrain and Cadillac SRX there. People love those junky GM SUV's for some reason. I'm not one of them having owned a POS Equinox several years ago.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

The beancounters were real good at thrashing Saturn for never turning a profit, paving the way for GM intervening and never letting saturn develop the way saturn needed to -- on its own. Saturn's lack of refreshing the S car line was a direct result of corporate GM's interference.

Corporate saw the potential, so GM did what they always do...swoop in and ram "the GM way" up everyone's asses. The autonomy given to Saturn at the outset could have led to a brilliant new line of vehicles. Instead, it was used as a development playpen for things like the Malibu, Cobalt. etc.

They wouldn't even let them redesign the freaking oil control rings or valve guide seals. For 11 YEARS.

Stupid is as stupid does