Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Body parts replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Default Body parts replacement...

Dang it, after 4 years of babying this sweet little 1995 SL1 it looks like it may have suffered a life-ending wound. Maybe...

In a heavy commute traffic situation (15-35 mph) my son had to stop suddenly. The pickup truck behind wasn't paying attention and slammed into the rear of his car smashing the rear pretty bad and shoving him forward into a semi ahead of him. He was ok -- way to slow for serious injury I guess.

No so for the car. The rear bumper -- or at least the black plastic covering -- was torn off, the left rear quarter panel was shoved in, turning the tail light about 45 degrees and bending the rear shelf that the trunk lid closes on inward.

Of course it goes without saying that the inattentive driver also happened to be an uninsured driver. The investigating officer wrote it up, assigned blame to him and gave him a ticket. He also collected what the guy purported to be his insurance information. However, when my son called the phone number given he did get an insurance agency but they said that the guy was not insured by them. My son has not been able to contact the other driver since.

Here's my question. Does anyone have any experience replacing rear body parts/panels on this or a similar plastic car and, if so, do you think its something I -- relatively handy with most things but totally inexperienced with body repair -- could take on with some expectation of success?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Howard
1995 Saturn SL1

Old 11-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

if the rear crumple zone did what it was supposed to do (crumple) then I believe it's a goner. Frame damage like that is unfortunately hard to fix and on a 95, just doesn't make sense if you ask me.

Post a few pix from different angles and we'll take a looksie. Glad he wasn't hurt.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 PM

If the S cars are set up like the Ion (which it seems like they are), it should be no issue going to a junk yard and pulling some panels. Just about everything is held on by plastic clips with the occasional torque screw/nut and bolt.

Sorry derf, you beat me to it! I didn't even think about the crumple zone. If there is frame damage, its sad to see another satty down :/
Glad your son is ok though, that's what matters.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks fellas. I just asked my son -- he lives about 40 miles away -- to take some pictures and I'll post them here when I have them.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 PM

I'm not sure but I think this link will work.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10378...CMngi_KHhI6gWw

I did it this way so that you will see the high resolution pictures and will possible be able to tell more about the damage.

Howard

Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

wow. I thought it was damaged much worse than that.
No sign of crumple zones crumpling.

Does the trunk latch closed? Since everything got shoved down and in, I'm assuming the trunk doesn't latch because the latch got pushed forward. If this is the case, you MAY be looking at damage severe enough that you'd need a body shop to pull it out to where it's supposed to be.

Same for the underlying structure behind the left corner. The taillight still being attached yet bent in again raises the issue of whether the structure of the trunk has been bent/compromised. If this the case, then nothing you buy in the way of panels/bumpers will fit right unless the structural issues are first addressed.

Just my opinion. I am not by any means a body work guy.

Food for thought: How much $$ do you want to spend fixing up a '95?

Old 11-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Just brought it back to my house last night. This morning I'm gonna pull the bumper valence off and see what I can see. I can already tell that the left side is pushed forward in relation to the right. I'm guessing that the real bumper underneath is bent. Also, not sure what I'll find when I start removing the tail light.

I'm gonna see if I can get the tail light straightened back enough to be out of the way of the trunk lid. Then if I can pull the left side of the bumper backward I might be able to get the trunk lid to close and latch.

I'll let you know...

Old 11-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Glad your son is ok! Sorry about the car though. I've got no input on how to fix it, but if it's structurally sound and you can regain a good seal on the trunk, it's worth the fix IMO. Was there any front end damage? So long as the drive train is undamaged and the frame is in good shape, with the low miles I think it's worth some TLC.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:18 PM

Get a small jack, the cars tire jack will work. Get some wood blocks, scrap 2x4s will work. Wedge the jack and some blocks between the corner under the light that is pushed in and the well well just in front of it. Now jack out the damage. See what it looks like after that. If you can get it out where it is supposed to be and the trunk closes, you may be able to get by with just buying a cover from a junk yard.

Edit: just took a second look, you will need a sub bumper too.

Last edited by keith; 11-26-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:25 AM

First and foremost is to be thankful that your son was not injured. Next, I'd just take the car to a body shop and see if they say it's fixable or not and go from there. I don't have any experience at body work, but it looks fixable to me by just replacing some parts. Do what Keith suggested and see what happens. He works on cars.

Quick Reply: Body parts replacement...