Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Blower Motor

Old 10-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Default Blower Motor

My vent blower motor works fine in the 1, 2, and 3 speeds. But is slow in the 4th speed. All my fuses are good. From what I've read the problem would be the resistor if the blower only worked in the 4th speed. Does that narrow me down to a relay or switch? Anyone have any ideas or experienced the same issue?

Old 10-23-2015, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

On most cars I've seen/messed with w/r/t blower motors the highest speed is run off a dedicated separate circuit with straight battery as the power source. Current flow and thus motor operation on the highest setting is enabled by a relay located on the resistor pack (circuit is independent of other speeds) which allows the current to pass to the blower motor without going through any resistors to cut down on the current.

Some manufacturers may have a current limiting resistor in series with the motor.

Don't know about Saturns.

I would pull the resistor pack and inspect it for signs of corrosion/rust -- indicative of exposure to water. There may be significant corrosion in the circuit adding extra resistance to the flow of current, with the net effect of reducing the current passing through the blower motor, EDIT thus reducing its speed

May also be a motor issue; one thing at a time

Last edited by derf; 10-23-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Thanks. The way it was reacting I was leaning toward the resistor. But, I must of misread an internet post that directed me away from it. Anyway, I've got a rattle in the defroster duct so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone by looking at the resistor.

It's like lightning struck the vehicle. I have door lock, auto down window, blower speed, DTCs 0301 and 0410 issues all in the last couple of weeks.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

the rattle in the defroster duct my be a significant obstruction to airflow. Did the defrost duct rattle start around the same time as the #4 speed giving you trouble.

Don't count anything out just yet....

P0410

PO410 Secondary Air injection System Troubleshooting

P0301
Cyl 1 misfire

Start by checking plug for proper color, gap, and signs of oil fouling.

Are the door lock and auto down window issues resolved?

Old 10-23-2015, 11:05 AM

The rattle in the air duct has been there for awhile. The fan speed problem happened about 6 months ago but went away before I could trouble shoot it. It appears it is back and here to stay until I fix it.
I still have the door lock issue. I can lock all the doors with the door electric button when I exit and can only unlock the drivers side door with using the RKE. I can not lock/unlock all the doors at once with the RKE. Although, the horn indicates to me that the whole car is locked.
The auto down window was a wire issue, so that was an easy fix.
Hopefully I can get a everything fixed throughout next week. It's grand children time this weekend.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Is the alarm actually activated when you lock it with the RKE fob?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:09 AM

When I used the fob it sounded like the system was activated and the doors locked. In actuality the doors did not lock. I did not check to see if the security light was blinking; I'll have to check on that.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

There is an almost identical thread from another forum member withe same 3rd gen cars. Trying to definitively determine if both RKE module and power door lock controller are separate fr the bcm or if they are integrated inside the bcm.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 AM

I unlocked all 4 doors and used the fob to lock them. It did sound like all doors locked but they actually didn't. The Security light was blinking on the dash. I pressed the fob lock again and got the horn and lights but the doors still didn't lock and the Security light was still blinking as if it was activated. I opened the driver's side door and the horn started to sound off. I'm hoping the RKE module is separate as the BCM controls too much and I don't want to touch if it is not necessary.

Update on P0301 and P0410: For P0301 the No. 1 plug looked worn and the gap definitely was out. I changed all the plugs and the car runs a lot better. For P0410 the vacuum hose at the intake was disconnected and the air tube going into the exhaust manifold was clogged. I reconnected the vacuum hose and cleaned the clogged tube. No DTCs have returned.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

See

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/sa...-problem-7121/

for information regarding door lock issue discussed here

Last edited by derf; 10-27-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blower Motor