Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Battery Cable and Fuse Box Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:54 PM
Default Battery Cable and Fuse Box Help Needed

Hey everyone! I have a 1994 Saturn SL1 and a while back I replaced the battery and the cable was so bad I had to replace the negative one with generic Super Start brand ones so I could keep driving the car. I had to use two cables to work. They say they are copper core and the terminals are a different type of alloy but not copper.

I have been wondering if installing OEM (Modern version OEM) negative cable would give more power. The cable splits in to two. The engine cable is about one size down I think than the generic one for OEM, and the chassis ground is half the size almost of the generic. Full copper core with copper alloy terminals.

Would installing the OEM cable give the car more power at all? I can see it as a possibility because the terminals have copper in them, but I'm not fully sure, especially because the OEM wires are thinner than the generic.

I also need help finding good safe reliable universal fuse boxes that use the small blade fuses that are weather proof for under the hood. I need multiple per unit.

I cannot seem to find any good ones that will fit my needs. If you read my other threads you would see I have some planned projects I hope to get started soon. A fuse box would be useful so things stay neat and clean. I would prefer one that I can screw the wires onto for each fuse, if that even exists for blade fuses.

Last edited by dwd375; 07-24-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Mistype
Old 07-25-2015, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

if you're not having any issues with dash lights dimming horribly or headlights massively dimming when you put your foot on the brake, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've always found the smaller wire gauge sizes somewhat confusing. A 2 gauge wire is rated to safely carry more current than a 4 gauge wire. At the same time, a 2 gauge wire is usually larger since for it to carry more current it must have more conducting material (copper for Copper wire) to safely conduct the higher current.

So is the standard such that the diameter of the wire gauges still applies for the lower gauge stranded copper wire too? As I type this, I think yes.

Do you mean fse boxes to mount under the hood which will contain you project circuits? Go to a junkyard and rip one off any S car -- then figure how/where to mount it.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 AM
Question

Originally Posted by derf
if you're not having any issues with dash lights dimming horribly or headlights massively dimming when you put your foot on the brake, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've always found the smaller wire gauge sizes somewhat confusing. A 2 gauge wire is rated to safely carry more current than a 4 gauge wire. At the same time, a 2 gauge wire is usually larger since for it to carry more current it must have more conducting material (copper for Copper wire) to safely conduct the higher current.

So is the standard such that the diameter of the wire gauges still applies for the lower gauge stranded copper wire too? As I type this, I think yes.

Do you mean fse boxes to mount under the hood which will contain you project circuits? Go to a junkyard and rip one off any S car -- then figure how/where to mount it.
My headlights and every light are sometimes bright and sometimes dim. But it is an unrelated reason that I will be addressing soon. I have to be under the car for the work and I want to gather all the parts I plan on installing before I go under so then I save time and do everything at once under the car.