Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'99 SW2 RF quarter panel replace...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Default '99 SW2 RF quarter panel replace...

Hi fellas...
Evidently my Grandson managed to brush up against a guard rail and now the rf quarter panel needs replacing..can anybody give me an idea of what I'm facing?
Thanks,
Tim

Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

never done one, but it can't be held on by more than 5 or 6 fasteners at the top, a few in the door jamb (these may be from behind for cosmetic reasons, and I'm not sure in front. Actually I need to go run an errand right now. I'll pop the hood in my 97sc2 and see what i can find.

So basically

1)don't know
2)will look
3)yes it's the same place around here
4)welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:17 PM

LOL!
Thanks, Derf!
Sorry about my lack of participation here, I really have no info that would do anybody any good, so I'm more of a "taker" than a "giver", unfortunately...

Last edited by timmerz; 04-15-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like six bolts on the top holding it to the upper frame rail; the panel has a 90° lip at the top.
In the A pillar area I found two round fastener heads above and two below the door hinge near the bottom of the a pillar area. There may be a third set in the middle-- I did this by feel. These look like carriage head bolts to me. No idea how to get to nuts. Might be simple, might not be. Again the panel makes a 90° turn where it fastens to the side frame.

As for what holds it in place in front i do not know.

I have the late model Chilton's book for all s cars. I'll look later today and see if it actually finally provides me something useful on any subject. So far it's been nothing but conflicting specs on everything I look up and is so freaking general that it's more of a book I use to keep my 91 to 93 Chilton's s car manual upright. That one has almost perfect wiring diagrams that apply with some logical leaps of faith up to at least 97 (PCM wiring/IO prob different)

Last edited by derf; 04-15-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 AM

Thanks a mil, Derf...I'm going to give it a shot, I think...looks like even if I have to buy the fender and the inner fender new it would be less that $100, then would have to get them painted...

Old 04-18-2015, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by timmerz
LOL!
so I'm more of a "taker" than a "giver"

If I knew you like I know the other guys on here, there would be a joke in this comment instead of me being respectful. LMAO

Where is Mandy? I know she likes our pervertedness.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

timmerz has 126 posts, which means he's taken a few licks and is still around -...

"....the less that you give you're a taker..." (Black Sabbath (Dio))

And keep your crude perverted ness in check so I don't have to edit your posts to keep this site somewhat clean.

We dare not slide over that slippery slope of seedy sinister suggestive verse, for there is no return --- no return I tell you.....

Last edited by derf; 05-12-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:58 PM

There once was a man from Nantucket.............. I'm sure you all know the rest. I won't print it as I don't want derf kicking me off here.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Hah! You guys are too much...
Definitely no thin skin here, not to worry!

Can NOT believe the different prices I'm getting for the fender and inner...all the way from around $100 (new/unpainted) to $350 plus shipping (used/correct color)...wish I had some auto painting skillz...

Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

well the color is gonna be off due to aging. If "close enough" is good enough for you, you could go for painted but the condition of the clear coat on the panel vs the condition of the clear coat on the rest of the car will make it stand out if they are not similar.

I assume the new ones are NOS (New Old Stock) from GM...

Sounds like

used/good condition + repaint
new + +repaint

if you want it to truly match.

Just my opinion

Quick Reply: '99 SW2 RF quarter panel replace...