Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

95 SL2 CEL 26 and high engine temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

hello,

i have a 95 SL2, the engine light is on all the time with a code 26, also, when i am idling my engine temp gauge goes to the 3/4 line but it will never overheat totally or smoke, but when i am driving the temp gauge goes down to 1/4. Is it possibly my fan isnt working? I have no leaks under the car either.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Usually a code 26 is followed by another code. 26 indicates aquad driver fault meaning onecircuit in a group of four separate circuits is at fault. It may be the EGR valve or the coolant sensoror other sensor. Try erasing the code by removing the negative battery cable and pressing the brake pedal then re-connecting the battery. Check for codes again. As old as your car is it may have the original engine coolant temperature sensor that cracks from poor design. Its resin tipped and the replacement is brass ($20?) and well worth the replacement along with the two-wire connector if its also corroded. The coolant sensor is the lower one on the engine block, the upper one is the enginetemperature sensor for the dash gauge and uses a single wire connector so don't confuse these two sensors. If this coolant sensor failed then the radiator fan won't turn on at the right time, just below red on the gauge, and will let the engine overheat unless there's airflow such as driving but not if stopped for a long time. Listen for the fan to come on as the temp gauge reaches the 3/4 mark. As long as it doesn't enter the red area you'll be ok until you've had a chance to replace the sensor. Do this ASAP! A good coolant sensor will allow the temps to just reach the red line and turn on the fan then cool down till approximately the 1/2 mark and shut off. Insist on the brass sensor only when buying one.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

i cleared the codes and still only get code 26. is the engine coolant temp sensor hard to get to?if it isnt i will just try that to see if it helps

Old 05-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Not hard to get to at all; go to http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26and on the first two lines read about the engine coolant sensor, replacement, and procedures including pictures. You may simply have a loose gas cap also.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

thanks, this morning the fan turned on for the first time since this post, and the temp gauge did not move past the 1/4 mark. so that tells me the problem definitely is the fan not turning on, but now i have to figure out if it is the fan itself or that sensor

Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 AM

The fan turning on is a good indication that the coolant sensor is also working but if its the original one you must replace it with the brass sensor as pictured in the link. The fan running means its ok and you can concentrate on replacing the coolant sensor. However, as old as yourcar is you should keep in mind the age of the fan and the fan relay (in the fuse box) that inevitably wears out. Normal fan turn on is at the 3/4 mark and off above the 1/4 mark, approximately.

The engine coolant sensor sends temperature data to the ECM that determines when to turn on the radiator fan. The ECM sends a signal that enables the fan relay to power the radiator fan on and off. The original coolant sensor fails in one of two 'modes'; failingwhere the engine continuously runs at a high idlewith a rich fuel mixture or failing the other way in the normal, lean fuelmixture, mode where its difficult to keepa coldengine running at start-up until its warmed up.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM

im new to this forum but my car started to over heat and i limped it home the fan is not turning so do you think its the coolant sensor? because all the hoses are new the water pump sounds good. SO im not familiar with saturns im trying to fix my buddys car. where is the coolant sensor located

Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 AM

The coolant sensor is below the EGR, left side of the throttle body. Its a two-wire sensor, resin tipped and prone to cracking that corrodes the connector also. If you went to the link posted earlier (if its still up) you'll see pics. Replace the sensor with the brass one only and the two-wire connector if its corroded with one from a junk yard intake air temp connector or the dealer's ($30?). You may have to replace the coolant overflow cap also.