Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2001 SL1 with High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Any updates on this? I replaced my intake gasket a little while ago, but always coat them with high temp suzukibond.

I am now having a high idle issue that seems to only happen when I am at a half a tank of gas or lower? is there any way at all that vented vapors could cause a high idle?

Old 09-02-2016, 01:05 PM

Still doing this. Does it make sense?

Old 09-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

oops, looks like someone left you hanging...sorry

1) Please make a signature with the same format and info as mine.Top right of screen, click on your name> UserCP>edit signature on left.

2) No clue what you're driving since you have no sig. Will assume some flavor of SOHC.

3) It is my understanding that the the EVAP system works based on pressure when determining when to vent or purge. A 1/2 tank of gas near atmospheric pressure will give off the same amount of vapor/unit time as the area of the exposed surface of the gasoline is the same at the 1/2 way full mark as it would when full. The difference is the buildup in pressure as a function of time. The 1/2 tank would require twice as much time to build up the required pressure in the tank to trigger the EVAP system into action. And yes, that's twice the fuel vapors quantity/volumewise.

But high idles are usually caused by unmetered AIR getting into the cylinders. Like via a vac leak/IM leak.

The PCM would know exactly what's going on with the fuel vapors being recirc'd so I do not believe this to be the source of the high idle for you unless the evap system is malfunctioning and throwing codes.

If yours is situational as you state, it sounds like a sticking throttle plate. When the car tank is only 1/2 full, your fuel pressure seems to drop as the pump doesn't have the help of the other 1/2 tank of gas pushing down on it. Therefore, I always envision it as as having to put your foot down a little further than you would on the pedal vs full tank of gas. And therefore since a different pedal position, a slightly different throttle plate position.

Clean the throttle body real well when you are at 1/2 tank of gas. Be sure to include the mechanism that the throttle cable is attached to under the hood to ensure complete freedom of movement

Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 AM

I updated my info a few times but I don't see it displayed.

Thank you for the suggestions. I printed it out, and will see what I can find.

I actually gave the car to my sister when I bought my Fusion, but I still have to do the maintenance. I am going by her descriptions of the car's behavior.