Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2001 SL1 with High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

I have owned the car for about 2 weeks.

I talked to my co-worker who over looked the car when they were looking to buy it, and said as he could tell there was no major work (mechanically) done to the car. The brakes and tires were new from the dealership.

They know there is a leak there, but can not find it. They cleaned the throttle body already. One of the head mechanics said that it is a leak but could be a minor leak that is hard to find. He said to try and "smoke it out" which is a better way to find it. He did notice a crinkle in the back of the manifold gasket so he said to start with that; but to see if my mechanic can do a smoke out. The TPS could be a little sticky since it does accelerate on its own from a stop.

I looked at the wires and they look fairly new, but am not sure if they were replaced or not.
My plan is to start with the intake manifold gasket (felpro which I have ordered). then go from there. I have found spark plugs and wire set as well and a tps with new plug in I can get from o'reillys as they have them in stock for me.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:53 PM

The throttle bodies are notorious for sticking because the EGR ports right behind the throttle plate. But they don't normally stick open, they tend to stick closed so it takes a little effort to start pressing down the accelerator.

I clean the throttle body by having someone hold the pedal to the floor while I clean out the bore and backside of the throttle plate with a rag or paper towel soaked with throttle body cleaner. Then I do a final quick spray around the shaft where it enters the throttle body.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Last time I had that problem, it was a dirty egr valve. Normally when the intake gasket is failing you get a misfire that is only noticeable at idle.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by hoseppi
Last time I had that problem, it was a dirty egr valve. Normally when the intake gasket is failing you get a misfire that is only noticeable at idle.
Well look who showed up late.......where in hell have you been?

You have some splan'n to do ..... we're waiting!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Default Mia

Originally Posted by sw2cam
Well look who showed up late.......where in hell have you been?

You have some splan'n to do ..... we're waiting!
Well,I went back to work for a couple of months in the fall, then my wife broke her leg, so now I finally have some time to get back in my shop and on line. I still have a bunch of Saturn parts cars and I drive my SL one daily! I am touched that at least somebody missed me!

Last edited by hoseppi; 01-18-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

i missed you, howie
sorry to hear about your wife.

are you still stocking s cars or are you doing ions?

Good to hear from you.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Default Mia

Thanks Derf, for letting me know that you care. I still have a lot of parts and complete S series cars. I used to do a lot of buying and selling of used cars, but it's hard to do business here in Md.. Hopefully the new Administration will make things better. On a bright note however, the ATHS is having their truck show in York, Pa. this year. I am a member and I will be bringing my 1966 Diamond T to the show. So, if anyone likes big trucks, this is the place to be as this event only hits the east coast every 3 to 5 years.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

do you have any pics to post?

When is the show? My brother in law would really dig it

Old 01-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Red face ATHS National Show and Convention in York

Derf, the show is May 28-30 at the York Convention Center, and yes I did put a pic up. I thought I could put a pic right here, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Wait a minute...I think I have something going here.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 SL1 with High Idle-summer-2013-035.jpg   2001 SL1 with High Idle-summer-2013-106.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, Howie.

Nice trucks sir. I like the "Seppi & Daughters". Not many guys have the ***** to do that. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen that -- until now. Props to you!

Quick Reply: 2001 SL1 with High Idle