Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1999 SL1 Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:52 PM

Hi, I have a 1999 SL1 with problems starting. When I try to start my car in the morning, and later that day after it has sit awhile, it cranks a long time, finally starts, but runs very rough. White smoke comes out of the tailpipe and there is a strong gas smell. After a few seconds, it runs great, no problems.

I live in the south, so outside temperature is not a problem.

The car has about 200k miles on it. I took it to the dealership,they did a diagnostic, and replaced the Fuel Pump, and Fuel Filter. The problem continued, theysuggested I change the Catalytic Conveter. I did, but it still has this problem. Any ideas?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks! I had read that in other forums, but I wanted to ask just to make sure this was the right thing to do in my situation.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 AM

Well, I installed the ECTS today, I followed the instructions, got it installed in about 10 minutes, no trouble at all. I also replaced the wire connector just to be safe.

However,the starting problem is still there. [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Anymore suggestions? I am fresh out of ideas....

Old 05-18-2007, 08:22 AM

I hope for your sake that if you still see white smoke from the exhaust that it isn't water burning, engine coolant leaking into the cylinders, from a blown head gasket. You'll have to check the radiator coolant for oil and the oil dipstick for engine coolant. Normal start-ups anywhere will have moisture that cools off in the exhaust system heat up and turn to steam for about 10 minutes. After this time has passed the exhaust system is hot enough that no more white smoke appears except in winter while idling. You might have to remove the spark plugs and examine them if they haven't been serviced or replaced in the last 50,000 miles. Look over the entire ignition system; coils, wires, and plugs for wear and tear. Clean the coils of corrosion using sandpaper on the bottoms if necessary and coat the area with light grease or dielectric grease, including the bolts, to prevent corrosion and replace the wires if original. The throttle body may be dirty and need a little TLC with carb cleaner to free the passages. By replacing the ECTS and wiring that takes care of theold sensor and allow you to move on to the other items contributing to the hard starting. Don't think the replacement of the coolant sensor was wrong as many Saturn owners have replaced the sensor that took care of their problems before continuing on with other troubles.