Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

01 sl2 intake manifold common problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Default 01 sl2 intake manifold common problem

In this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK9cXijBnRc will show the problem i have with my intake manifold. Now I would like to get that piece for my car. It is built at a cnc machine shop but I dont know if i need to have the dimensions for the piece that i need or can a cnc machine shop figure this out?? Or is there another way of fixing this common problem on the Saturns 00' to 02'.
Also I have this other problem that I have to keep adding oil every 2 months or so it seems my car burns it really fast and im worried it will damage my motor.

I really dont know much about cars and I dont even know how to change the light bulbs on my car so any help would be greatly apreciated. Lately ive been doing research and im actually thinking of cleaning out my AIC valve soon and learn more about fixing my car.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Does any one know if this part is being reproduced anywhere? It sounds like there might be a market for it.
Looking at the video, I have made pieces like that myself in my garage with hand tools. Not the easiest, but doable. A decent machine shop should be able to make something of that nature but the question is, will they? They would be able to make it by reverse engineering the piece cut off of your manifold. Another option would be to purchase or obtain a junk manifold and cut the piece off as pictured and take it to a machine shop to have it duplicated in metal.
As far as burning oil, the odds are there is already something not right so the motor is probably already damaged. Using a heavier weight oil is a shade tree mechanic common alternative to the factory recommeded extremely light weight oil some thing like a 20W40 is certainly a viable option but the important part is to check and add oil regularly because not doing it will certainly let the engine run out of oil and that will break it.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:13 AM

thanks for the reply. this car really means a lot to me and I will definitly be checking the oil more often. There is actually a number on that link which I called and left a message but have not received a reply yet. And maybe I won't cus that video was posted 2 years ago

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Banned

Well, if the phone number is still operational, there's a chance your message will get through to the correct person(s). Keep us informed, please .....

Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Hey guys, check out my link on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories
It took me a lot of time and trial and error on many intake manifolds before I perfected it. We installed many of them with great sucess.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

kudos on trying to address this problem for the Saturn community

but from your ebay post

easy fix for a fraction of the money you would spend replacing it. (note: if you do replace it, the new one will break just like the old one- just a matter of time)

so you've determined that the intake manifold on EVERY 2000-02 DOHC is defective in exactly this manner, and ALL factory replacements are doomed? Does this include aftermarket manifolds too (if they exist)?

That's some pretty heavy talk -- hope you have some hard numbers (including those from within Saturn engineering) to back that up.

Promoting your own product is fine; making unsubstantiated claims is most uncool.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Well, one could suggest he's taking his claims a bit too far (what salesman doesn't?) -- anyhow, I've got a DOHC in that range, with 135,000 on it ... I'll keep your data in my file for future reference .......

Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Hey its the same guy I tried calling and didnt reply back to my msg lol. Atleast I found you lol or you found me.
Well I will say, I think when the part of the manifold cracked is when the water pump started failling and it heated up my car really bad so I guess thats when it screwed up.Thanks for all the info, you guys been really helpful.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 AM

So, maybe only the cars that have overheated experience this problem. I have seen two instances of this problem, and the last one (three days ago) did have a overheating issue.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Default 00-02 Saturn SL-2 SC-2 intake manifold

Please read my eBay feedback, they speak for themself.

Quick Reply: 01 sl2 intake manifold common problem