2009 Outlook XR Intermittent vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Crap, you're past 100K extended coverage for the 6T7x trannys, which I'll bet you is the root of all evil here. They're trying to sell you a new tranny based on THEIR tranny's crap record because they know that one of the few sources of torque converter failure is from the debris that may let loose from the 35R waveplate breaking and wreck the torque converter. For all you know, they already know the waveplate is broken in your current tranny and so they want to sell you a new one with a redesigned waveplate. BUT they can't do that without selling you a new torque converter b/c they don't want the shrapnel making its way back into the new tranny.

Walk away from these people.

Maybe check w a local shop to see if you can get just your torque converter flushed. Not sure if it can be done.
Out of my area of expertise.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 PM

I am not sure what to do. Just get the torque convertor replaced and roll the dice, new tranny, drive it until it all together shuts up (then my only choice is new tranny) or unload the vehicle.

It is in great shape, but I am looking at a lot of cabbage whichever way i go..

Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM

Hay Jurich, sounds like you got it nailed! A TTC shudder, don't see it as much in GM converters as we do in Fords. They all went to Plus-With-Modulation type solenoids to get away from this problem, so now when the converter shudders...it's done. Usually contaminates the entire hydraulic system with metal partials. I agree with Derf, I too would say in the early stages if you're not experiencing any other problems. Always a good idea to shop around for prices, shop very in price...and quality. Make sure they have been in business for a while.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Am i safe to just replace the torque convertor. I assume they would be able to tell me if there are additional concerns when they open things up?

Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 PM

Hi again Jurich! At 150K this transmission is most likely worn out. Most automatics will last well past the 100K mark if the fluid is changed around every 30K, unless it is a CVT. But, even with regular maintenance, not many make it to 200K. Of course there are exceptions, I'm just speaking in general.

It is around $3 to 4K to rebuild one, and you won't find one sitting on a shelf...anywhere, unless it is a used one. If you plan on keeping the vehicle, I would recommend having it rebuilt by a reputable shop that specializes in transmissions.

These are known for cracked or fractured wave plate, resulting in a loss of 3rd, 5th and reverse gears. The affected vehicles are anything equipped with a 6T70 or 6T75 6 speed. Just like derf said, so if your not experiencing this problem yet...you will. While the trans is out, may as well address that too, or you'll be paying to have it pulled out twice.

Your 6T70 or 6T75 is known for a host of problems, that can all be addressed during a rebuild. I have provided 2 links, so you can be aware of these issues. This will also give you some good questions to ask when getting prices on your repair. Please let us know what you decide to do, and how things turn out.

Top 10 Common Problems with the 6T70 Transmission
Common-Problems-with-the-6T70-Transmission

Top 5 Transmission Problems with the 6T70 Transmission and Solutions for Repair

Old 03-25-2016, 07:12 AM

Thanks Alpha and Derf,

The vehicle is in great shape and I am inclined to fix it. Thanks for the links I will be checking around some local transmission shops for pricing.