Buying

Old 09-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Default Buying

I have a 2005 L300 on my radar but, it has trans problem, it won't move forward but, will move in reverse.

They also don't know if the timing belt has been replaced.

They are asking $1000 for it but I don't think it's worth that much. It has 191k miles.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

If it's not a tranny fluid level issue (which it does not sound like), you may be talking tranny teardown and rebuild.

What codes does it throw?

As for 191K and possibility of original timing belt, I find that highly unlikely.
But I'm sure Andy's seen many a strange thing over the years.

Ultimately, the answer doesn't matter, because as soon as you got it towed home, you'd replace all the timing stuff that needed it anyway.

Does it run? Smooth idle? What was oil level when you checked it? People who do not maintain their cars don't think to top off fluids when putting cars up for sale b/c they never top off fluids in real life......

Compression check results?

This vehicle sounds like a money pit that you can only go back home in backwards. $1,000 is a joke. Andy has purchased L cars w broken timing that threw a rod for half that.

If you are prepared to dump money and time into a possible full rebuild (worst case scenario), lowball them at $250 just to see their reaction. Undriveable, requires immediate timing work and tranny work....parts + labor......

Personally, I believe you can get much more for less. Unless Andy knows something I don't.

Actually Andy knows many more things than I know....
--------------------------------------------
Andy -- on a vehicle with a timing belt, if you leave one on too long and it does NOT break, does the accumulated wear on the belt itself cause a SMALL timing shift? And if it did, would it lead to or accelerate any internal wear?

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

It all depends on how nice the car is. If it is a gem and everything looks and works as new except the trans then price a tranny. If is the typical high mileage car with other obvious flaws look elsewhere. A transmission replacement in this car is probably close to if not more than $2500. This would be for a dealer type repair with a good warranty. These are nice driving cars, that is why I am building a nice driver for myself. I found a gem with a broken timing chain for $300 and repaired the engine for on of my grandsons. I will have about $1200 plus my labor when done. It will be worth about $3000.
The timing belt is probably getting ready for the third one not the second.
I have never seen timing belts wear to the point of damage other than failure.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 AM

I haven't seen the car in person.

Only contacted via text, probably gonna go look at it this weekend.

They say it runs fine, it just won't move while in drive, just reverse.