Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Serious MAF issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Default Serious MAF issues

Hey everyone! I have a 2000 Saturn LS2 with the 3.0 V6. I have been having some Mass Airflow Sensor problems I think. At first, I keep throwing a P0102 code (mass airflow low voltage circuit?) something like that. So I figured I'd clean it out. I got some MAF cleaner at Autozone and cleaned it. Nothing happened. I'd start it up cold in the morning and usually a car starts at about 1.5k rpm's to warm itself up.. Mine goes right to about 550. Right up then quickly down, almost sounding like its gonna die out but then catches itself. So about a month ago I went and bought an used one. Good shape, looked clean and looked nice. Didn't want to clean it because I read you shouldn't, you should just put it in. So I cleared the code, plugged her in, started her up and bam! CEL once again.. Code? P0102. So I've been driving like this for about a month now. 15mpg, 0-60's slower then usual. So I went to another place today and figured before I were to spend $300 on a new one, I'd try one more used one. Even though I don't think its my MAF in the first place. This one is from my car, had 5k miles on it (from a car crash car, rear end totaled) bought for $60. Did the same thing. No cleaning. Plugged her in, cleared the code, start her up. Bam! Same damn thing! Doesn't work. Computer reader 0.00 on the air being pushed by it. I feel like their is something more here.. Any ideas?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 AM

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? What do your spark plugs look like and when was the last time you did a tune up? Check the wiring connector to the plug for the MAF.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

what were the MAF output readings for the original and 1st replaced used MAF? (you already told us 2nd was 0)
That piece of information should help us determine if it is a MAF issue or a potential wiring issue.

FYI normal MAF reading at idle is 3 to 7 g/s.

Also, check the "engine control 1" fuse in the underhood junction box

Last edited by derf; 03-09-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM

I'm getting 0.50lb/m on full throttle and idle. And what does the fuse have to do with it? I didn't think their was a fuse for a MAF. Before I was getting 0.00 all around. I just bought this new one yesterday (used, new to me like I mentioned) and its reading it but. Not much. Still shooting a P0102. I have a cold air intake but that shouldn't effect one right off... If at all though.

Last edited by Claplume; 03-09-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? What do your spark plugs look like and when was the last time you did a tune up? Check the wiring connector to the plug for the MAF.
I've recently used SeaFoam in it. Besides the MAF is before the throttle body that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I do usual maintenance on it myself. Checking exhaust and all gaskets, oil changes every 2k miles, this and that. Spark plugs on the V6 are very confusing. Hard to locate, hard to get to.. It seems to be running fine though spark plug wise. I've felt the bad and the good.. She's fine.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 AM

Sometimes you can find a faulty MAF just by tapping it with a screwdriver or hammer handle while the car is running. If something is hinky with it, the idle of the engine will change when you tap on it. I still think you need to check your wiring. As far as cleaning the throttle body, Seafoam isn't going to get it done. You should go to Autozone or Advance or where ever you shop and get a can of THROTTLE BODY cleaner, not carb cleaner, and follow the directions. Carb cleaner can strip the protective coating out of the tb.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Sometimes you can find a faulty MAF just by tapping it with a screwdriver or hammer handle while the car is running. If something is hinky with it, the idle of the engine will change when you tap on it. I still think you need to check your wiring. As far as cleaning the throttle body, Seafoam isn't going to get it done. You should go to Autozone or Advance or where ever you shop and get a can of THROTTLE BODY cleaner, not carb cleaner, and follow the directions. Carb cleaner can strip the protective coating out of the tb.
Trust me.. I've tapped it, touched it, wiggled it (giggity) and nothing's happened. That's like the first thing anyone does. I checked the wires today. Wire 1, and 5 have no power. Wire 2 is getting 5.1v and wire 4 getting 12.3v... That's low right? And I did the cleaner you mentioned today and nothing happened.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM

I can't help you any further, Corey. I don't have a factory service manual or even a Haynes manual for a Saturn, so I don't know the values.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

OA, do you have docs for the L car MAF wiring?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by derf
OA, do you have docs for the L car MAF wiring?
I wish.. My car unfortunately didn't come with crap! Mint condish but no manual nor can I find one. I've looked at fuse diagrams .. Can't find an exact one for the L. We're could I find what your talking about?

Quick Reply: Serious MAF issues