Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Replacing seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Default Replacing seat

I want to replace my drivers side seat. I have found a passenger seat in great condition. Does anyone know if it's possible to change around the adjustment lever and use a passenger seat on the drivers side?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

A quality auto upholstery shop can make that work for you.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 PM

Thanks for your fast response. I'm wondering if the installer at my local junk yard can do it. He didn't know if it can be done.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

I have a pair of manual seats out, I think the tracks will swap. Let me look , I will get back to you tonite.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I looked at the seats and they are side specific. The upholstery covers will probably swap as well as the foam. What fails on these seats is the support for the foam. If your seat cover is ok but it feels like the bottom fell out an upholstery shop can fix it easily. If your cover is torn or the foam is worn out buy the nice passenger seat and go see your seat shop. Ask around maybe, used car dealers that sell nice cars will know who is good.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:01 PM

The part that needs to be replaced is the back. The edge of the back is worn from rubbing against it when entering the car. I've noticed that it's the same on all of the L200's at the junk yards. I'm really surprised that the hardware can't be swapped to the left side of a passenger seat in order to use it as a drivers seat. I guess I'll just buy it and make it work somehow. I'll update this thread when I'm done. I certainly welcome anyone's knowledge or opinion.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

The seat belt buckle bolts to the base so there is a right and left base. The recline assembly is part of the back, you may be able to mix a base and back. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

How did your seat turn out?

Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

He's sitting on the answer.

I just know it.......

Old 03-05-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
How did your seat turn out?
It turned out great.
The hardware on the bottom of the base/seat part is attached to the seat with just two screws, it's incredibly simple to switch that part from a passenger seat to a driver-side seat which is necessary because the seat belt straps won't attach correctly, otherwise.
However, the back is just slightly more involved. It is not possible to switch the reclining mechanism from a passenger to a drivers-side due to welds that hold it together, but it is incredibly easy to attach the old back to the new base (which keeps the reclining mechanism on the correct side) and then just change out the fabric and even the padding.
At the bottom of the back there is a fastener which holds the fabric in place. It's obvious, when you see it, how to release the fastener. The fabric then removes like removing a condom (sorry, I can't think of any other example right now). The padding is just one piece of foam which is super easy to switch out. You then just put the new fabric over the foam padding, reattach the back to the base and it's all done. The whole project took less than an hour.
Everyone I talked to, including several professionals said it couldn't be done. It can be done and it's very easy.
Now my drivers seat is like new (this was a passenger seat which obviously got almost no wear). I'm now sitting up a little higher, and it looks and feels like a brand new seat.
Feel free to contact me if any of this isn't clear.

Last edited by WalterB; 03-05-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing seat