Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

New thread: my new L200, stick

Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
We had some weather this weekend, I worked about
I will design and build an inside support for my trailer hitch to fit inside the bumper support. The front bumper support is steel and the rear is aluminum. I will haul a bicycle rack with this hitch and may tow a small trailer to haul lumber. Yes I have a truck but I commute to a medium sized city that has several lumber yards and the Saturn gets twice the mileage!
More later when I take more screws out.
For some reason, all I read was that you're making a hitch support to hold up that hitch mounted boat tail I know you're planning... Come on, man, I'm ahead of you, with the 4T45 transmission... You can do better with the F23...

Old 10-26-2016, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

I have been working on home repairs before the freeze. I need to build a new pump house for my water system.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
For some reason, all I read was that you're making a hitch support to hold up that hitch mounted boat tail I know you're planning... Come on, man, I'm ahead of you, with the 4T45 transmission... You can do better with the F23...
Huh?

You dare to question Andy's choices?
The man knows what he needs, what he wants, and what he has access to.

Andy--I'd like to reserve a place in the queue for an impending rebuild on my 97SC2. It's nowhere near needing it, but I figure the line will be long by the time it is ready. Where can I purchase a "priority" ticket for later use?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Huh?

You dare to question Andy's choices?
The man knows what he needs, what he wants, and what he has access to.
I was just goading him into a little friendly eco-competition... I honestly would love to see how well a pre facelift L series fares with the same stuff that's already been done to the Aerobu...

Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Back to the L200/5 project today! Pulled the engine/trans from the donor car. I will use this transmission, the oil looks nice. Both of my stick shift cars were purchased blown up, so the transmission is a crap shoot either way. Both have 200K miles, this one has nice oil. Funny the ecm has a pin corroded off inside the black plug. The ecm on this car is inside the car, the 02 car the ecm is mounted to the firewall under the hood. Funny I thought I had a partial abs car, wrong I have a tone ring on the passenger side axle only. This is how they drive the speedo on this car. The head may survive, jury is still out. The new Chinese timing components are questionable at best. I will use the the new water pump and gaskets. The pressure plate looks good on this engine, I will take the clutch off next weekend. I have a new LUK clutch for this project, I have not decided if I am going to put this car together cheap and then build new stuff if I like this car. I really want a 3.62 ratio transmission and I may build a low boost turbo 2.0 for this car. Decisions decisions......

Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 AM

If you're just wanting a low pressure turbo, there's no real reason to build an LSJ for that car...

It's got a different reluctor wheel on the crank(same as 07-up L61)
Crank is eight bolt instead of six like the L61(ZZP sells a custom clutch you could use with an LSJ/F23 combo)
People running supercharged L61s can make well into the 250s for power, and that's accounting for the additional heat and drag from the M62

Really, a healthy L61 *should* tolerate 8psi or so, and the L series PCM is accessible with HPTuners, so you could easily tell the car what to do with the boost

Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

We got back from our 4000 mile spring break trip to Kansas. We came home to 50+ mph winds and it blew my tarp garage cover all apart. I kind of pieced what was left back together and continued tearing the 2000 LS parts car apart. I am going to gut the interior and keep all the suspension for spares. I am going to drop the front subframe and toss it behind the shed. The stick shift subframe is different from the automatic one. The shift linkage mounts to the subframe. I will keep the doors even though they are manual glass doors, the frames are straight. The electric doors I have from the 03 are bent from the rollover. This will give me two sets of extra door glass. I am going to get a set of side glass tinted for my new driver to be installed at a later date.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Going to work in the shop for the next couple of days. I need to finish the gold car and take it to my grandson. I bought oem parts when I repaired the engine in the gold car except for the gaskets. The cheaper gaskets provide just what you pay for. At 9000 miles the valve cover gasket has started to leak. It is leaking right in line with the timing chain and running down the back of the engine. I have been smelling engine oil at the bottom of the hill on my commute. You would be proud I actually opened the hood and took a look. LOL. The power steering pump was a little over full also and has been weeping some oil out of the cap. I still need to diagnose the a/c unit and the alternator. I have three more alternators so I will try another and see if the dimming lights at closed throttle goes away. I am just about done stripping the 2000 LS and will fill it with scrap and donate it to Pick a Part.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

I thought you never popped hoods after you worked on stuff.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New thread: my new L200, stick