Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

2000 LW2 dash lights Inop

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Default 2000 LW2 dash lights Inop

Im new to this site. Hope somebody can help me out. I just purchased a 2000 LW2 and theres a few minor problems, first one (and most annoying) being the interior lights, such as the gauges, A/C switches, and auto trans selector lights dont work when I turn on the parking and headlights.

I just ordered a Chiltons manual to get some wiring diagram help but, dont know if that will do much good. The Odometer light comes on when I turn on the lights and even dims when I adjust the dimmer, so its not the switch. Im tempted to go to a wrecking yard and get the gauge cluster to see if its that, but then again ALL the interior lights dont come on when I turn on the lights.

Any help will be much appreciated. Theres an aftermarket radio installed, but I took it out and it doesnt look like it has been spliced or "cut" into any of the lighting wires just the normal radio power, etc.

Mahalo,
SS

I have grown to love saturns I recently owned an SL2, and upgraded to the LW2, and what a difference. although Im sacrificing on the gas mileage its much more fun to drive...

Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Well! Don't know for sure, but things of that nature had a tendancy to be either the light bulbs burnt out or a fuse blown. Now your explanation of taking the radio out seems to point at trying to solve more problems than you are describing which points at a fuse.
Or your description is just a bit vague as to how many lights are actually out.
If that is the case your Chiltons when it arrives will tell you more.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 PM

O.K., I just took a quick look at what Saturn service information I personally have. For some one who owns a 1994 Saturn and has no interest in owning a newer one, I have quite a collection. But the newer they get the less specific the information I have on them gets. (I think I said that right)
Having taken a quick look the first thing I determined, is there is no such thing as a quick look.
There must be 75 Kazzillion fuses and ckt breakers in the thing.
There is no way I can go through what I have based on the information you put in your request for help to try to determine which of the 8 or 9 fuse banks may contain fuses or ckt breakers related to your problem. If you could be more specific on;
1. the specific circumstance and 2. the indicator lights that do not work I might be able to go through what I have and take a guess. A partial list is not going to do much good in even trying.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 AM

Sorry I could have been more descript.

The lighting for the gauges (dials, needles, and backlighting) are inop, to include the A/C panel back lighting, and the P,R,N,D of the shifter. All the alert, check, and other informational lights come on, when key is turned on and then turn off when started and illuminate when needed.

The digital odometer lights up and adjusts with the dimmer dial, but non of the backlighting will light up. I took the cluster out and looked at a few bulbs and ensured it was hooked up correctly and nothing looked suspicious.

the reason I checked the aftermarket radio is there is usually a dimmer hook up, and wanted to make sure that wasnt shorted or cut, I thought it might be a start since I dont have a wiring diagram.

I suppose I could continue to look for fuse boxes and relays to find the source. do some ohm checks and see where the culprit might be hiding. Ill have to see how thorough and accurate the manual is going to be.

Thanks for the help and the quick responses.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the update. My service information for that year does not give me wiring information. It does however list the fuse and circuit breaker boxes which seem to be extensive. As a interesting thing to me at least, a 1974 car I am restoring has a fuse holder the size of a cigarete package that is the fuses for the whole car. The fuse box listing for this models shows about 6 fuse and circuit breaker boxes the size of a lap top computor or so it seems when looking. They are well labled. But that is all they are, is labled. My back is acting up so I will look later to see if any of the lables makes sense based on the information you just left.