Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

01 LW300 A/C gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Aftermarket supply needs to be checked out for parts that are affordable and will work. My Saturn has been maintained using a combination of both aftermarket and OEM when the part was obtainable and worked through aftermarket.
One of the purposes of a forum such as this is to be able to identify when an aftermarket part just is not compatible and if it can, why. Otherwise be able to tell people where parts are available.
Some times it is not obvious that aftermarket parts are actually available. The window lift motor for the S series car is part of an almost $300.00 lift mechanism available from the dealer. It is also a reasonably high failure rate item. Turns out Rock Auto carries the motor separate for under $50.00 including shipping.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 PM

I apologize for not keeping up with a report on how this reman. unit worked out.
Long story short, it wouldn't hold a charge. Added some dye, checked the entire system, and lo and behold, the A/C line that runs down the passenger side had a small pinhole.
Replaced that line from GM, think it was around 130.00, charged it again, and it would only hold pressure for 2 days.
Dug around some more, and found the seal on the unit itself had a very small leak.
Replaced the seal, re-charged the system, and it blows cold to the tune of 38 degrees.
Been fine for almost a year now, and wife is very happy, (that's all that really matters, eh)?

Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

someone else on the forum recently had a an AC compressor failure, after which they did research and found that the compressor design used for the OEM compressors is problematic. New design is now out there. I'm very interested to see how yours works out long term.

I must say that I'm not impressed with the QC of the reman company if they can't seal the damn unit on the first try.

Glad you have it up and running -- and good to hear from you.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by derf
someone else on the forum recently had a an AC compressor failure, after which they did research and found that the compressor design used for the OEM compressors is problematic. New design is now out there. I'm very interested to see how yours works out long term.

I must say that I'm not impressed with the QC of the reman company if they can't seal the damn unit on the first try.

Glad you have it up and running -- and good to hear from you.

I know, disappointing on the reman. QC issue.
Just happy I was able to address it myself without any severe undue costs. Start of this repair to end was maybe in the neighborhood of $400.00 but well worth the money and effort expended with summer months approaching here in Eastern NC.