Recall 14115, 14063, 14113

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:36 PM

Derf, I definitely understand what you are saying. I decided to wait on trying the graphite b/c the dealer set up such a quick appt. Im sitting in the waiting area now. I'm probably overthinking the shifter thing. I guess if that was an issue I would have noticed it before the recall was done? I also read some stuff about bending the shifter cable (?) and/or a switch being in play. But again, I never had a problem getting the key out until after they changed the ignition. Anyway, I will follow back up with you once I see what they say up here at the dealership...

Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Okay so I went to the dealer on Friday to check why the key would sometimes stick after having the ignition replaced. It didn’t happen before I have the recall done. Service dude gets in and cranks car up like 5 times and everything worked. Then on the last 2 times the key stuck on him. He said it was probably the shift interlock switch as he messed around with the automatic shifter. He told me that he could set up an appt. to look at it since they just replaced the ignition a week or two ago. I haven’t called him back yet, because I wanted to take a look for myself. On Saturday, I popped off the cup holder and the passenger side panel under that. It was pretty gunky inside there, so I cleaned up and wiped down what I could and gave it a small hit of WD40. I looked at the switch and tried to familiarize myself with how it works. After putting the panels back together, I am noticing the shifter moving a little smoother. I also have been listening for that click when I put the car in park. Since Saturday the key has not stuck and I the switch seems to be working.

Attached Thumbnails Recall 14115, 14063, 14113-20160306_173043%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 PM

We are taking our coupe in for the 3rd time for the ignition. Before the recall was done it worked without any issues, afterwards it won't start sometimes.

Have to hit the right spot after a few turns of the key.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Can't help but wonder if they mass produced these so quickly in order to meet demand that they lowered criteria for "passing QC" so that more could be distributed faster. Multiply that by how many internal parts there are (moving or not) and it hints at the possibility of how many combinations of out of spec parts you could have.

Of course, the weighting of each part in terms of its possible effect is in no way equal, so that cannot be forgotten. Just saying that no one should be surprised that something built w suspect components takes three swap outs to fix.

On the other side of the equation is that maybe GM DID take quality seriously, and the side effect of that is exposing weaknesses in the interlock design/implementation in the cars.

Do you know if there have been any recalls exclusively on the shift interlock switch itself across the GM line?

Old 04-29-2016, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Do you know if there have been any recalls exclusively on the shift interlock switch itself across the GM line?
I'm not sure about the interlock....I'll check.

The sad part is, the same place did the recall on our ION sedan and haven't had any problems....fingers crossed we won't. Very annoying when you try to leave somewhere and you have to wait for the switch to cooperate.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:18 PM

Yeah the switch definitely is not designed very well in my opinion. I haven't heard of any recalls on the specific part either. But I saw a guy on YouTube with a Cobalt where a part of the switch had fallen out. That (and some great help on this forum) is how I figured I needed to look down under the shifter to try and learn how that part works in conjunction with the ignition/key area. Did you take it in? If so, what did they say? Mine was working fine before I took it in as well. I just wanted to do the recall because I didn't want it to ever become an issue. It was only after they replaced it that the key started to stick in the ACC position fairly regularly. It was weird. However, it's been two months now since I went into the console and sprayed WD40 on the switch below the shifter. I haven't had much of a problem since.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:38 PM

We did take it in and of course if wouldn't do the no start but, the next morning it did it and got a call about 5 minutes ago and she said it wouldn't start.

Might have to end up calling GM and complain about the replacement parts being crap.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

dig around the net first and see how many others are in the same boat.
Imagine the media storm all of you could create if it is widespread and all the saturns and other cars going from mobile deathtraps to driveway anchors.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:17 PM

Dang. I hate to hear that. The rare times when I have had the issue, it is only having to do with removing the key. Not being able to start it because of the ignition switch sounds terrible. I hope you can get it taken care of.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mrfreez
Dang. I hate to hear that. The rare times when I have had the issue, it is only having to do with removing the key. Not being able to start it because of the ignition switch sounds terrible. I hope you can get it taken care of.
It sucks! My daughter text me Thursday and it wouldn't start. Took 9 turns of the key before it would start.

Freaking pisses me off!

Quick Reply: Recall 14115, 14063, 14113