19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM

Oh, no. I don't drink straight coffee. Depending on where I am, either French vanilla creamer, or a some sugar and milk.

Glad to hear the wife is ok though.

Sounds like you are having fun! Remind me, I need to swap out my engine mount...eventually.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:11 PM

I'm exhausted, frustrated, filthy, and sweaty, but everything is back together, almost as good as it was(having some trouble with bottom alt bolt), the belt is on, and my Rsnger is charging the battery... Engine mount is torqued, and I still need to torque my blower pulley bolts before firing the engine, but all is looking acceptable...

...but my front tires are being chewed at an alarming rate, the inside is nearly bald... Both sides... Now, I know aggressive cornering wears the outside in a rounded profile, and spinning wears the inside flatly, but what wears only the inside? Front alignment should still be within spec, and the car drives fine, other than pulling to the side...

Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 AM

Tire rod ends may be shot. Jack the car up and see if there is any play in em.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:10 AM

My mom commented that her tires wore to the inside when she cornered hard, maybe im just pushing too much in the corners... I mean, I'll still check the tie rods, but steering feels fine(I still remember how the Taurus felt with bad tie rod ends)...

... And my serpentine belt squeals like a 13 year old girl right now, probably due to getting grease on the belt/pulleys... I'll check on my day off, before meeting up with Derf...

Old 07-31-2015, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

spray some of that belt dressing on it. No clue what's in it but it shuts it up.
Prob dissolves the top layer of the belt right off.

So don't get it on your skin, in your eyes, near the dog, and in no way should it be used to quiet screaming children

Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Now the whole forum knows we're meetin up for food n drivin.

So if one of us does not sign on by the 7th, the one that does is the axe murderer.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:39 PM

So, my cars not going to be at 100% for the cruise... I found the source of the squealing belt, the alternator was shifted out of line about a mm... My belt is missing one of the ribs on one side... As a result, I'm about a psi of boost down compared to normal... I have no fear of it breaking, but it needs replaced...

...and I need to buy a tire... I picked up a drywall screw(not sure how), and it not only made a hole in the tread area, but it gouged a couple holes in the sidewall... They're all plugged, but it still leaks a little... It was one of the rear tires(which still look nearly new), so I'm just going to replace it...

Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Home Depot or Lowes parking lot?

NEVER park near the contractor exit; all kinds of crap gets knocked out of truck beds and is then subsequently run over and punctures tires.

Holes in the sidewall of a tire = STOP DRIVING ON TIRE.

IMHO you are plying with fire, as the flex in the sidewall can loosen any repair plug and you do NOT want to be driving on the highway or on swervy roads when the sidewall opens up. If you're lucky, the tire will deflate slow enough that the you can maintain control. Otherwise, a sidewall blowout may occur and those never end well.

Sidewalls were never designed to be patched.

It's also why no reputable tire shop would consider touching it

Old 08-02-2015, 10:14 AM

Tire never completely sealed... Just patched up so I can drive to the tire shop Monday and have a replacement installed... My spare tire is ruined too, or I would just drive around on that... If I can't get my tire mounted , I will have to go to our meet-up in my Ranger...

Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM

Got my new tire put on, and I'm not impressed with the installer... Probably will never go there again... I shoulda known better, but they were the only place open when I was calling around, and they had the cheapest price on the tire, by like 6 bucks... Anyway, they scratched my wheel(if they didn't already look like poo I would be severely pissed) pretty bad... But the worst was that they cross-threaded one of my lug nuts, and put all of them on with a impact gun, no torque wrench...(not that I use one either, but I can only manage about 115lb/ft of torque with my lug wrench) I had to break the stud off to rotate my tires, so I now need to replace a wheel stud and lug nut... The really bad part is this isn't the first time that shop has screwed up work for me... They were just the only one available to sell me a tire...

Quick Reply: 19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...