non starting Aura

Old 06-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Default non starting Aura

Ok I have 2007 Aura XE. I have had issues with it starting. I had put a lot of work into this pos and replaced lots of parts. And have about had it with this car. its been a lemon since i bought it. As of late I have had the P0606 code so I did get a replacement ECM, had it re-flashed, had the anti-theft reprogrammed but it still wouldn't start. I pulled the battery had it checked and charged, let it sit out of the car over night and re-installed it this morning. It actually started and ran for a few minutes. I turned it off and started it again, so i let it run for a bit. about 20 minutes later it died and now wont restart. I get nothing when I turn the key, no motor turn, not even a click like i was getting before. The anit-theft light goes away, so i don't think its that, but that's how its acting. Anyone have any resolution ideas, solutions? I am wits end with this car. Between all the suspension issues i've had with it and the car having elecrical issues and not wanting to start.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:11 PM

******Update****

So I pulled a code for the crankshaft sensor. I replaced it, and the VATS light came back on. I tried several times to go through the passlock reset and it wouldn't let me. Strangle and out of the blue it is now gone, but the car won't start. Any suggestions?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Is it cranking again or is it silence when you turn the key?

I could see that CKP possibly inhibiting spark and fuel and shutting the car down after 20 min when it went heated up and went into failure mode.

Time for the Rube Test: (questions sound silly but answers are incredibly useful when they're not what you thought they were)

1) Do you have spark at all four plugs?
2) Do you have fuel getting to the cylinders/are the injectors passing fuel?
3) Do you have air (unobstructed inlet air pathway)?
4) Do you have compression? (sounds like you did for 20 min prior)
5) Do you have security system /light issues that MIGHT be inhibiting any of the above?

Have you checked for codes since the last time you cleared them? You may have a pending code.....

Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 AM

I get nothing when I turn the key. The security light is back. But it won't let me go through the steps to reset they passlock with the key. I wait the 10 minutes and the light stays on. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a few hours and tried again to no avail.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

You said you had the ECM replaced and reflashed.
Who performed this?
Did they do the BCM relearn procedure?
If not you will have carpel tunnel wrist and a heroin addiction trying to start that car.

If you got it to run that ONE or two times I'm thinking they must have.

With the security light playing whack a mole (on or off when it feels like it), I'm leaning towards BCM or Ignition switch issues.

Do you have another original key for the vehicle? Anything's worth a try w the damn chip keys (I believe this is but didn't look it up)

Since Passlock reset will not complete successfully, I'm gonna GUESS it's a BCM issue (the security system is integrated into the BCM as far as I know.

Will likely need to tow it to a GM dealership -- I would suggest Chevy as they are most likely to be familiar with the overall setup of the electronics and such.

Be sure to concisely write down what you have experienced, replaced, tried, the results, and the status of the security light before it gets loaded on the tow truck

It may need another BCM relearn or the BCM may be bad.

--------
Have you searched here for anything remotely similar?

Keeping You Safe | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Take a CLOSE look at the TSBs (tech service bulletins)--if you find anything it will likely be there.

Last edited by derf; 07-05-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:39 PM

I got the ECM online and had it flashed to my Vin. When I stalled it I followed the key reset. The 30 minute on and off procedure. The car did not start after. I thought maybe the battery so I pulled it and had it tested. It tested fine so the next day I reinstalled it and it started the 2 times and ran the second time for 20 minutes before it died. Pulled a code and it told me crankshaft sensor. Swapped it and still nothing. Pulled a code today and it tells me now it's the EVAP sensor is out. I have tried resets with both original keys.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

I believe for the security (and other things) to work correctly, the BCM must go through a relearn procedure if the ECM is changed. Now flashing it to your VIN is a solid idea, but where in the hell did they get a hold of the GM factory flash?
If they are using anything else, you may be on thin ice.

Before Bones jumps down my throat, YES, you can use other than stock parameter settings with the ECM, but I believe you are still just tweaking the parameters and the base software/firmware remains the same.

After some digging, I determined that the 2007 Aura uses the PassKEY III+ system. This is not to be confused with older versions of PassLOCK.

Your key should have a circle w a plus sign inside it right where the metal exits the plastic head of the key.

Here we go:
-----------
1) Passlock III+ uses an RFID (Radio Frequency ID) Transponder Chip in the key that matches a decoder in the theft deterrent module.

2) The theft deterrent module contains the logic and communicates through GM LAN (communications bus between modules) to the ECM which is the immobilizer, using the BCM as a pass-through.
-------------

MY theories (based on reading and instinct only)

1) It sounds as though the theft deterrent module figures out if the code stored in the chip in the key matches the code stored in the immobilizer -- which is the ECM.

But this communication is routed through the BCM to the ECM.
It is my understanding that the BCM and ECM have to be "re-synched" (BCM re-learn) in order to communicate properly if either one is swapped out.

So in your case the key may match the code in the immobilizer (ECM), but the comparison is not even being made because the data sent to the BCM never gets to the ECM to be compared. Therefore the car remains immobilized.

I do not know if there is a DIY BCM relearn procedure but I highly doubt it as I believe it requires a GM Tech II tool and in your case, it may be safer to reflash the BCM to match all your options and then do the re-learn,

Will more likely than not need to be towed to a Chevy (recommended) dealership.

OR

2) your theft deterrent module has lost its mind and decided that the codes never match and therefore the car remains immobilized.

-----

a) ignore the SES codes for now; they may be bogus.
b) do some more reading up on PassKEYIII+ to see if there is a way to differentiate between the two scenarios above.

>>>>>Andy -- do you know of any generic way to test communications between modules other than a Tech II? Can it be done using a non GM suitably equipped scanning scanning tool?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 AM

Just one thing after another with this car. It's not ran for 3 months now.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:26 AM

Well I got it trailer ed and hauled down to the dealer. Hopefully they can get it figured quickly and with out great expense. Hate doing it, but I am out of options on my end

Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM

Let us know how that turns out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: non starting Aura