08 Astra on it's 3rd Ignition Coil Pack and the elusive MAP sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Banned
Default 08 Astra on it's 3rd Ignition Coil Pack and the elusive MAP sensor

I have 107000 miles on my car and just put in it's 3rd ignition coil, changed plugs and cleaned MAF sensor. Every time I do this, the check engine light comes back on and won't reset and reads the same codes. Am I missing something? I read somewhere on this forum that someone was changing plugs every30000 miles otherwise it was causing coil pack to go out. This is insane to me, but I'm starting to think it's true. Also, if anyone ever tells you that you need this ignition pack replaced DO IT YOURSELF. the only thing going for it is that it's incredibly easy to fix.
Also, side note. One of the codes was for the MAP sensor which was on hand at the store so I bought. Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure this car doesn't have a MAP sensor only a MAF (which I found and cleaned) why would every auto place I check have this part listed if it's not on the Astra?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Source: location of map sensor on astra | Technical matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John

No clue if this is correct. Talks about an EARLIER version of the European version of the Astra.

It appears to have (in 2005) both a MAF and MAP

Please let us know if this applies to the 2008 Saturn Astras.
_____
_____
r3d dwarf

You'll find your MAP [M-anifold A-bsolute P-ressure] sensor fixed to the bulkhead behind the engine. Follow it's thin rubber hose from the inlet manifold and it's the flat black block [stamped GM] with the rubber hose and a three-pin plug going to it.

Changing parts at random to find even a "common" engine-management fault requires exceptional luck; ("do you feel lucky...?")

Before spending anything, check that the throttle-plate housing is spotless inside and all the breather pipes, hoses and stubs are clear. Like Reply to this message | Report message as offensive | Link
Sun 6 Nov 2005 20:28
location of map sensor on astra - Number_Cruncher I agree with everything Screwloose has said.

What is the fault on your car? Why do you think that a new MAP sensor is the answer?

I have replaced a few MAP sensors, but in most cases, it isn't the first place I'd look.

Number_Cruncher
Like Reply to this message | Report message as offensive | Link

Sun 6 Nov 2005 23:48
location of map sensor on astra - Railroad. The MAP sensor can be tested quite easily. There will be a three pin plug attached to it. The outer pins will be a 5V supply (with ignition on) and the other will be earth. The centre pin will be the signal to the ECU.

1. Check for voltage supply with ignition on, around 4.5V

2. Make sure earth connection is good. Earths should always be <5Ω. Make sure ignition is off when you check resistance, or you will not get an accurate reading.

3. Remove vacuum pipe, use voltmeter to probe centre pin with ignition on and gently apply vacuum to pipe. The voltage should fall down to about 0.5V, and return to around 4.5V when vacuum is released. If it does the the sensor is working and need not be replaced.

4. Check continuity of wiring from MAP sensor to ECU. Like Reply to this message | Report message as offensive | Link

Old 11-05-2015, 06:05 AM

I would say the best source for information on the I have it or I don't have it question would be the factory service repair manual.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

any updates?

Old 11-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

As far as I can tell there is no MAP sensor to find and I don't have a repair manual ( think it's about time to get one )
I re-cleaned the MAF sensor and reset codes and was able to drive a few hundred miles before the check engine light came on again and the rough idle returned. Random guy at auto parts place said GM is known for faulty MAF sensors and I tend to believe him since there is a specific MAF sensor cleaning product. Since the ignition coil pack is new and the codes keep saying MAF/MAP my next step to replace the MAF once I have an extra hundred bucks to throw at it.
Also taking it in to address the growl in the flex pipe that has been there since I bought it at 30,000 miles

Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Have you called a DEALER gm parts dept with VIN in hand, asking him where the MAP is located on your ASTRA? He'll immediately say "that car uses a MAF not MAP", to which you reply you are getting individual codes for both, and the earlier European models were known to have both.

Ask him to look up the part number by gm part number (give it to him). It should lead him to a diagram of where the part is on the car.

Like this, only this diagram sucks.

EMISSION COMPONENTS for 2008 Saturn Astra

Interestingly, the ignition module and MAP have the same part number

MAP SENSOR - 2008 Saturn Astra (12591290)

• Manufacturer: GM
  • Part Number: 12591290
  • Part: MAP SENSOR
  • Part Notes: ASTRA

Maybe it comes as part of the ignition module or is integrated into it? It's rather confusing, since both the MAP and the ignition module are listed under EMISSIONS.

You have nothing to lose by trying. Start with Chevy dealers and sound a bit desperate....you have to pass emissions (if that applies..etc)

Let us know

Old 06-07-2017, 11:16 PM

I'm having the same issue with my wifes 08 astra xe with the 1.8L. I already changed the coil a year ago when #3 went out, and spark plugs. I replaced the maf sensor and coolant temp, and air filter. I'm unable to find any vacuum leaks, but the car starts rough smooth out for a few minutes then starts chugging, and when you gas the throttle it chugs back to idle. Keeps reading maf sensor, and left bank lean though. Any resolution to this issue? I've also checked the voltage from the maf and its reading normally.

Last edited by Nathan Norcott; 06-07-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I would look closely at your maf sensor. My daughters Mazda MPV was running the same as your car with the lean codes. I found a blade of grass across the hot wire in the maf sensor. It is amazing what that cost before I found the problem.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

In all honesty, we have no active Astra members on our forum right now, and very few of us have any firsthand knowledge of the car. I have read on other Saturn forums of this exact problem but I do not know if anyone ever solved the mystery.

I would recommend joining a few Astra forums and see what others in your predicament have done.

To be clear, I'm not trying to chase you away---I'm trying to direct you to a place that can likely provide more technical expertise regarding your car than we can.

02 LW300 is a very experienced guy -- don't discount his input.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Yeah its a difficult vehicle to own. I appreciate any advice. Are you saying I should check the hot leads in the sensor housing or trace them to the source?

Quick Reply: 08 Astra on it's 3rd Ignition Coil Pack and the elusive MAP sensor