Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Wifes 1998 Sc1 Wiper and Fluid possesed

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Banned
Default Wifes 1998 Sc1 Wiper and Fluid possesed

My wifes sc1 has an issue that started where first the windshield wiper fluid motor would turn on automatically along with the wiper as if she was holding in the fluid switch.. I unplugged the fluid motor so that it would stop shooting out constantly and now she's having an issue where her wiper only works now on the highest setting. Absolutely nothing else works besides the highest setting. What am i looking into getting for it?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jdoncouse
What am i looking into getting for it?
Do you mean how much will this cost to repair? Couldn't tell ya.
Definitely sounds as though something is amiss in the wiper stalk/switch/wiring.

The part's about 70-100 depending on what brand and where. Problem is, it's actually a combination switch that also includes the whole turn signal/headlight stalk too.

The unit goes over the steering column so to access it to fix/replace, the steering wheel and some trim need to be removed. I doubt there is much inside the switch that is serviceable, but then again I've never personally worked on one.

So it's the labor or your own time that will cost you.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Banned

Nah i'm just needing to know what part it is really.. we have lots of pull a parts here in tennessee i'm sure i can find what i need. That's just one part of the car i've never dealt with.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

well, anyway the above info is a bare bones guide to replace it.

It's called a combination switch, dual lever multifunction switch, turn signal combination switch, dual lever combination switch, turn signal switch...pretty much any combination of dual, switch, combination, turn, and multifunction. Interestingly I did not find it listed as a wiper switch.
Whatever.

$85 on Rockauto.com. I'm assuming Airtex, Wells, and Standard are all owned by the same people since the price for the two is identical to the cent. Remember the one you pull from a yard will likely have many miles on it. To be safe I'd pull from a 97-99 (second gen coupe) unless you can verify with a gm dealer what years interchange.

Would appreciate you coming back after you get it fixed up and either doing a quick writeup we can post as a sticky for others to benefit from, or at least stop by and tell us how you fixed it and what to watch out for.

Oh, I believe you need to shave/grind down the ends of the sockets that remove the lower steering column trim or they don't reach the bolt heads AND the sockets get wedged in there.

This is the case is it not, Rube?

Look up Richpin videos on youtube and find one where he's doing an ignition cyl....I think it has to come off for that...he talks about grinding sockets for this

Good luck.

Last edited by derf; 12-10-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Oh, I believe you need to shave/grind down the ends of the sockets that remove the lower steering column trim or they don't reach the bolt heads AND the sockets get wedged in there.

This is the case is it not, Rube?

Good luck.
Yes indeed, derf. If you're going to remove the plastic steering wheel cover, it requires a very thin 7mm (I think) socket. As derf stated, I used a grinder on a cheap one I have and kept at it until it would fit that tiny hole without getting stuck. What a pain in the butt that was. Anyway, I agree with derf that if you get a used one, you may run into the same problem. If you plan on keeping the car, just get a new one and give your wife some peace of mind. It's a multi-function switch and I THINK the pull a part on Centennial Blvd in Nashville will let you get one for around twelve to fifteen bucks. Where in TN are you? I'm 85 miles west of Nashville on the Tennessee River.

Last edited by derf; 12-11-2014 at 09:19 AM.