Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

What did you do to your S series today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

I propped my 95 SC2's back end up in the air to see which rear rotor was the warped one

Answer: Both

Autozone crap, with autozone warranty. Picked me up 2 free replacements, which hopefully last more than 6K mi

Old 11-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Topped off with 93 octane...Gonna compare MPG against 87 & 87 with Techtron...See what happens??? Cutting to the chase drove to work. Got out and drove to get beer. Noticed I have a plate light out.Drove home. Drank beer and thought about replacing the plate light... eh, maybe tomorrow.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Nothing yet today, spent my evening yesterday going through boxes looking for missing tools. We moved about a year ago and some stuff is still packed. got me wondering, will it ever be unpacked?

Anyway I just about have my engine completely loose but the dang exhaust manifold bolts are badly rusted. I need to get a bigger 6 point 13 mm socket to try to either loosen them or shear the dang things off, I don't care how it ends at this point, but they have to go. I don't have a cutting torch, so no option there. maybe cut them off with a dremel....

Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

If you didn't do anything to your Saturn today, why are you posting in this thread (??)

Yesterday (yeah I was too busy to post last night) I:

Replaced both trailing arms
Replaced both swaybar endlinks (existing were "less than optimal")
Installed a rear toe adjustment kit

on my 97 SC2.

The endlinks were badly worn, my trailing arms had 10K more miles (250K) on them then the one that rusted off /snapped on my old 95 SC2 and they lived in the identical salt ridden environment for most of their lives. Prefer not to experience that failure on the road again......

Monday I replaced the driver' side LCA and put a new upper mounting plate and bearing on the same front corner. The combination got rid of a funky shuttering that would kick in like clockwork at about 61 mph and continue to worsen (not tire balance issue)--all felt through the steering wheel. Have a very very very slightly warped front left rotor; the oscillations were getting transmitted back through the knucle to the LCA, whose bushings had seen better days. So the LCA was moving back and forth slightly, allowing the upper strut mount and bearing to flex a bit and not operate properly.

Since I had to pull the strut to do the control arm, I just put a new plate n bearing on there -- nice n smooth on the highway for the first time in a long while.

The toe rear adjustment kit was recommended by the dude who does my alignments.
RR toe was off and he tried gently to loosen adj bolt on toe arm but could not, and didn't want to risk snapping it off with no replacement available for my 19 yr old ride.
Got the bolt loose yesterday. Prob didn't need the kit but already bought it so put it on anyway.

Last edited by derf; 12-11-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:29 PM

Filled it up with 87 and techron. Went fishing then vacuumed it out and ran it through the car wash. Noticed rear drums are starting to squeak when I'm braking and replaced my burned out plate light.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Finally the plate light......

Old 12-14-2015, 09:03 PM

Treated my car to an oil change and tire rotation today. Paired up with an injector cleaner dumped into the tank, she's purring quite nicely. Gotta be nice to it, I'm leaving it all alone until January on Saturday.
Oh yeah, last tank: old oil 87 octane w/ injector cleaner, 32 mpg.

Last edited by Dave4422; 12-14-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:15 AM

I actually drove my 94SC2 to the store. The pop up head lights had not worked the other day, but assumed oxidation from disuse had been the culprit so excersized the head light switch. It worked, the head lights started to function and move up and down out of their storage position.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:48 PM

Washed it. Commuted back and forth to work. Got my fishing gear in the trunk and getting ready for an early start trout fishing.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

drove it horribly out of alignment after the previous work I mentioned. the steering wheel is rotated 20 deg CW w me holding tight to keep from wanderdrifting into oncoming traffic.....Keeps you awake

Alignment on Monday

Quick Reply: What did you do to your S series today?