Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Rear brakes wont release/locked-up... help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Default Rear brakes wont release/locked-up... help?!?

So I am having issues with my rear brakes on my 1994 SC2, they will not release or are locked-up. I have tried adjusting the parking break, with no prevail. When I looked at the brakes, they are touching the rotor. The passenger side has a little bit of resistance, but the driver side it is impossible to move by hand. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like one of the following:

0) your parking brake is adjusted way too tight -- I know you said you tried to adjust... should be 5-8 clicks I think...--

1) parking brake cable is seized and is not sliding/moving inside its sheath when the handle is let down. This can be proven yay or nay by watching the tops of the rear calipers while a friend engages and disengages the parking brake

2) parking brake levers on rear calipers are frozen in place in the actuated (forward) position and will not release/move

3) Rear calipers are not retracting when the brake pedal is lifted. This can be caused by a leak in the system (are you losing brake fluid), caliper slide pins that need lubrication or are bent, contaminated brake fluid (how many miles since it was last flush n filled?), seized calipers, etc....

Did this occur with both rear calipers at the same time? If so, I would find it hard to believe that both calipers seized at the exact same moment......or has this been an issue that has worsened to the point it is at now?

If you choose to try to retract the calipers by hand, you need to ROTATE them in with a caliper tool---they CANNOT be pressed straight in like the front calipers.