Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something? Tell us!!

2002 SC1/SL1 Ignition Cylinder w/ Keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Default 2002 SC1/SL1 Ignition Cylinder w/ Keys

Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am brand new to the forum but in a bit of a pickle.

It seems that I need a new ignition cylinder with keys, and all the stuff that I can find online is just the kit.

It seems that there was a recall or something for after 1998 SL series ignition cylinders, but I can't find much information on it.

I can't for the life of me find ignition cylinders with keys post 1998 and I am going a bit batty. Some of the sites that say they offer the part really don't upon further inspection.

If anyone can shed any light on this subject, or point me to where I can get this part with the keys I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and happy driving!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:10 AM

The new cylinder comes with new tumblers, match them to your old cylinder. Keys can be cut at your local GM dealer. The code for the tumblers can be acquired at your GM dealer as week.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:04 PM

Thank you very much, but those do not come "with the keys".

After 1998 cylinders with the keys do not seem to available anywhere and I'm not sure why.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

No double posting, please. Thanks!

It is my understanding that the S cars did not receive the Pssslock II theft deterrent system until the 2000 model year. So it might be partially related to a design change required for Passlock II.

Passlock II systems use a sensor in the ignition lock cylinder, which looks for proper rotation of the lock cylinder with the correct key. Upon successful rotation of the ignition lock cylinder, a code will be sent to the Passlock module.

Per Dtruck, the manufacturers provide you a blank slate for keying the cylinder to match your existing locks. Both the tumbler sequence and the key code to cut a key from the vin can be obtained at a GM dealership.

There is no functional difference between an ignition cyl config'd and and keys cut by the dealer and a package that comes to you with the same having been done to it, only it does NOT match the rest of the locks.

Passlock II keys DID NOT have a resistor or transponder in the key that is matched to the cylinder, so there is no reason to pre cut keys for the ign cyls

Last edited by derf; 02-24-2017 at 02:00 AM.