Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   Key stuck in iginition and won't turn (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/key-stuck-iginition-wont-turn-3563/)

geeve420 07-28-2009 08:50 PM

Key stuck in iginition and won't turn

I have a 97 sl2 and the key is stuck in the ignition and I can't turn it at all. I have taken the colum apart and tried to pop the cylinder, but I can't get it into ACC to pop it. I have tried making sure it was park, I have tried turning the wheel and key. I am at a total loss :confused: :(. any help would be greatly appritiated :o

Geeve

jlannigan 07-29-2009 02:02 PM

I had something similar in my 97 sl2, i just had to keep bouncing it around until i could get it to acc, other than that, you have to take it to a dealership. Was the decay of the ignition switch a slow decent or did it all of a sudden just go bad?

Jay.

geeve420 07-29-2009 03:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean "bouncing it around"? It was just all of a sudden. Had no issue with it prior. I was driving to work and the alternater gave out so I pulled over. My father inlaw came and put it on a trailer (was able to start it enough to drive it on). he got it home and now the key is stuck completely. I'm about to scream cause we are borrowing a car in the mean time and it sucks :( Any ideas? I really don't want to take it to the dealer cause I'm sure it'll cost more than the car is worth.

Geeve

Atlaswar 07-29-2009 07:19 PM

This is as close as I could find to your problem

Ignition Key May Not Rotate in the Ignition Cylinder and/or Steering Wheel May Lock with the Key in Ignition Cylinder in the LOCK Position #97-T-43 - (Jan 10, 2003)
The Ignition Key May Not Rotate in the Ignition Cylinder and/or Steering Wheel May Lock with the Key in the Ignition Cylinder in the LOCK Position -- Replace with a New Ignition Cylinder Unit
1997 Saturns built with a second design key

Condition:
After the ignition key has been turned to the ACC, RUN or START position, and rotated back to the LOCK position, the ignition key may not rotate unless it is removed from the ignition cylinder and re-inserted into the ignition cylinder.

Also, the steering wheel may lock with the ignition key still in the ignition cylinder, with the ignition cylinder in the LOCK position. The steering wheel should lock only after the ignition key has been removed from the ignition cylinder.

Cause:
A loose interface between the key minder actuator in the ignition cylinder and the ignition cylinder housing.

Correction:
Replace the ignition cylinder unit with a new ignition cylinder unit P/N 21170896.

derf 07-29-2009 08:16 PM

well dang, my 97 SC2 cylinder always needs the key pulled out and put back in after turning it off -- think it's been that way from the start....

12 years worth hasn't yet killed it -- guess I'll wait till it is totally hosed

geeve420 07-29-2009 09:03 PM

Well we got it. For those with the same problem we did this.......Disconnect Battery, pulled fuses for the airbag,Took the four bots out of steering column housing so it splits in two and the cylinder is exposed. There is a lock nipple on the gauge side of the cylinder, you take a flat head screwdriver and a BFH (Big Fu%^ing Hammer) and beat the crap out of it while saying things you will repent for later. As you do this wiggle the key and turn it till the cylinder releases the key.

Once we got the key out I took my handy wallet key and compared them.....I guess you could say 12 years had worn the key almost completly smooth. With that out of way we moved on to the tension pulley (what I thought was an alternator problem), and that my friends is a whole other story.

Thank you all for your input and I hope this helps someone else. :)

Geeve

jlannigan 07-30-2009 11:12 AM

Congrats on getting it fixed

derf 07-30-2009 10:31 PM

bookmarked for when mine goes to crap........

MR.SC2 07-30-2009 11:13 PM

geeve, are you sure the steering wheel isnt locked? lol, broke a key in my old ford that way

geeve420 07-31-2009 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MR.SC2 (Post 16013)
geeve, are you sure the steering wheel isnt locked? lol, broke a key in my old ford that way

Yeah it wasn't locked. I could move the steering wheel all the way left or right. I could also hear it pass by the lock. It was basically the key was so worn out, that he cylinder didn't want to let go.