Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn 3 Door Coupes (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/)
-   -   Saturn won't start (sometimes) (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/saturn-wont-start-sometimes-5592/)

TimHansen14 03-27-2011 10:35 AM

Saturn won't start (sometimes)

Well, I'm a little frustrated. I just picked up a saturn (2001 sc2 with an auto trans) and it was running fine the first three days I had it. Well, my wife and I went to the store the other day and came out and turned the key and nothing. Everything comes on in the car, all the lights, gages, windows work, radio works, just when I turn the key to start nothing. No service light is on. So I left it there over night. Come back the next morning to trailer it home, get in and it starts right up. I turn the key of and on a few times and it starts right up everytime. Drive it home turn the key off and try to start the car again and nothing. Same as before. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I know nothing about Saturns. Could it be a fuse? If so which one(s)? Or computer related? Thanks again.

sw2cam 03-27-2011 12:55 PM

Sorry I deleted the post you made in the SC2 forum as well. I'm a little frustrated that people find a need to ask the same question in more then one place. I'm also a little frustraded that the same question has been asked over and over and over on forum after forum and people just can not do a search to locate anything that would be of help to them.

First check your batterie cables. Make sure thet are TIGHTLY connected to the batery. Make sure the positive cable is not corroded inside. That means you'll have to cut back a bit of the covering at the battery end to see if the wires are clean or not.

dan01sc2 04-10-2011 09:09 PM

you most likely have corrosion on your starter just tap on it a couple of times and she should start right up

fm2200 04-13-2011 12:18 PM

Not very often but it does occur, the cables to the battery go bad. Sometimes the battery connection which is made of lead loses it's conductability and a current will not fully pass. I had this happen about 3 times (probably made in China) but it does happen.

fm2200 04-13-2011 12:24 PM

Another thing that has happened to me the rubber insulaltion that covers the cable gets tarnished and that causes the copper to lose it's electrical properties. I live where the ocean air is very corrosive to metals. It's not easy to spot it because it's somewhat hidden under the insulation.

derf 04-14-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by fm2200 (Post 24782)
Another thing that has happened to me the rubber insulaltion that covers the cable gets tarnished and that causes the copper to lose it's electrical properties. I live where the ocean air is very corrosive to metals. It's not easy to spot it because it's somewhat hidden under the insulation.

huh?

Insulation gets tarnished and affects the copper?

I do believe it's the other way around -- the copper gets corroded from the moist salty air

fm2200 04-15-2011 09:13 AM

You are riight, I worded it poorly, I should not confuse the issue.