Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn 3 Door Coupes (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/)
-   -   95 Saturn SC2 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/95-saturn-sc2-1976/)

95TTZX 04-30-2008 12:08 PM

I dont know where to start really, as this is my first post on this forum, but I do frequent forums regulary so I assure you that I have used the search feature, but my answer is still unsolved or unresolved.

I currently started using my sister's previous car while mine is undergoing a rebuild. The car has BAD automatic transmission problems, and I really need the car to last me for maybe 2 more months. I cant recall if its a '95 Saturn SC2 twin cam or a '92. I dont really know. lol. They are the same body style though, I do believe.

Here is the problem:

I start the car in the morning, put it into reverse to back it out, have to wait a second, and "CLUNK", there we are, in gear now.. back it up, goes fine. Pop it into Drive and were off. I cant take off too too fast though otherwise the f**ker will stay in 1st gear! I have to almost stay at 2,000RPMS and ignore accelerating whatsoever. The car got stuck on a busy highway today, luckily not too far from my destination, but I had to stay in FIRST gear on a 55mph road, going 25mph at 4,000 RPMS. Luckily I didnt blow the motor in this P.O.S., but it's sitting under the tree. Please bare with me, lol.

What should I do with this thing? I just wanna be able to shift to the next gear. Something tells me its a sensor, and not the transmission itself but I dont really know. Its not like it grinds or anything (automatics really dont do that), or that its slipping, but moreso that it just needs to be told "GO THE NEXT GEAR!".

Man... I'm trying to save up to build my Z back up to shape, but its problems like these that keep delaying it. Imagine going from a 500whp 300zx TT to a Saturn SC2 with like 100bhp and no acceleration. It sucks ASS... hey but gas is nice.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Im very much fed up with this car.

Thanks for ANY help,

Breece
Edited by: sw2cam

95TTZX 04-30-2008 12:11 PM

PS: Is there anyway to check your ECU codes on this thing? My codes in the Z display in tiny numbers on the front face of the device. Is it the same for this? (My car has OBDI settings, I imagine this MIGHT have that).Edited by: sw2cam

95TTZX 04-30-2008 12:58 PM

11 views! someone please help, lol. ANY info on this thing would help.Edited by: sw2cam

Low Saturn 04-30-2008 03:03 PM

To answer your first post, it sounds like its the transmission vavle body. Very common with Saturn automatics that dont have the fluid changed regularly.

To answer your second post, take a look at the following two links from my website.

How to display codes

Diagnostic trouble code chart

Transaxle trouble code chart

If the car is a two door couple and its a 1992, its a SC. It will also have automatic seatbelts. If its a 1995 twincam coupe, its a SC2 and will have manual seatbelts.

95TTZX 04-30-2008 08:26 PM

Well, the lap belt is manual on it, but the chest belt is not. The car is a twin cam (or so the back says) and I believe is called a Saturn SC2 like you mentioned. If I change the fluid will it help the problem? Where can I buy a new valve body? I really hope this thing doesnt need a new transmission.
Edited by: sw2cam

sw2cam 04-30-2008 09:06 PM

As said ........ sounds like the valve body

Low Saturn 04-30-2008 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 95TTZX
Well, the lap belt is manual on it, but the chest belt is not. The car is a twin cam (or so the back says) and I believe is called a Saturn SC2 like you mentioned. If I change the fluid will it help the problem? Where can I buy a new valve body? I really hope this thing doesnt need a new transmission.

If it has the octapus arm belts then its either a 1991/1992 SC or 1993/1994 SC2.

Changing the fluid wont help.

A new valve body will be around $600, an rebuilt one a little less than half that. It's year dependent, so make sure you know exactly the year of the car.

95TTZX 04-30-2008 09:22 PM

Will a rebuilt one suffice? If so, where can I get this done? I believe the car is a 92. After all I can check the tags and see what it is...

Well sh*t. I just checked my insurance lol... it's a 1994 Saturn SL2 4D... lol.

How long will a rebuilt one last? I can probably do my own mechanical work, but where can I find the supplies necessary to rebuild?

Low Saturn 04-30-2008 09:31 PM

A lot of people on other forums have had good luck with a company that sells rebuilt ones from their Ebay store.

If you take care of it, a rebuilt one will out last the car. If you get it fixed, replace the fluid/filter more often tthan recommended in the owners manual and add an external transmission cooler. Neglect as well as hot and dirty fluid is what kills these transmissions.

95TTZX 04-30-2008 09:37 PM

My sister is as neglectful as they come. I could easily see how it happened. Thanks.

Do you know the ebay vendor's name?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SATUR...VALVE-BODY-WIT H-NEW-SOLINOID-TESTED_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQihZ0 07QQitemZ170213837994QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

will that work ^ ?Edited by: 95TTZX