Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   A/C fuse issues in 1997 Saturn SL-2 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/c-fuse-issues-1997-saturn-sl-2-a-4512/)

ljcs357 05-12-2010 07:09 AM

A/C fuse issues in 1997 Saturn SL-2

I am driving a '97 Saturn SL-2. Most recently I have been having issues with my a/c. I immediately thought it was the compressor and changed it. I also had the a/c switch changed out. Now I am having issues with the A/C fuse located on the inside of the car. The fuse will work for about an hour or two( or 1-3 trips in the car) and then it will blow. This has happened about 4 times. Does any one have any suggestions or know what the problem is. Any insight would be helpful guys.

Thanks

derf 05-12-2010 12:31 PM

1) What model of compressor was used in the replacement? Should be indicated on the compressor itself.
2)Was the A/C clutch also replaced or just the compressor?
3)What do you mean when you refer to changing the A/C switch? The one in the dash?

Not to be a simpleton, but it sounds like something is causing that circuit to now run at the upper limit of what is considered "safe" regarding current-- we now need to find where the additional current draw is.......

ljcs357 05-17-2010 07:27 AM

1) I'll get back to you on that one
2) the clutch was definitely replaced
3) yeah, the switch in the dash

so it sounds like the this is becoming an electrical issue :(

your questions are helpful..I'll relay this to my mechanic so he can troubleshoot a little better

uncljohn 05-17-2010 10:12 AM

Based strictly on the information given, changing the clutch to one with lower coil resistance would cause an increase in current drawn. Which means some how, it is an incorrect clutch. I would assume though that clutch coil resistance is pretty much standard accross the board but a resistance measurement of the coil resistance and compared to another unit using an ohmeter would verify that.
Or a spec sheet.
And generally a fuse blowing has a tendancy to indicate an electrical problem.
And maybe it might help to know what was the original problem and did the repairs actually solve it or is it possible what is going on a continuation of that problem?

uncljohn 05-17-2010 10:17 AM

"The fuse will work for about an hour or two( or 1-3 trips in the car) and then it will blow."
This also is referred to as an intermittent problem and may have nothing to do with the parts used other than some one did a really crappy job and there is a bare wire some where bouncing around and touching the body of the car causing the fuse to blow when it does. There is no real way to trouble shoot this other than inspecting the repaired areas and looking for obviously sloppy work.

ljcs357 06-17-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by uncljohn (Post 19960)
"The fuse will work for about an hour or two( or 1-3 trips in the car) and then it will blow."
This also is referred to as an intermittent problem and may have nothing to do with the parts used other than some one did a really crappy job and there is a bare wire some where bouncing around and touching the body of the car causing the fuse to blow when it does. There is no real way to trouble shoot this other than inspecting the repaired areas and looking for obviously sloppy work.

I took it back to the person who did the initial job..they claimed they couldn't find anything after looking all day but suddenly the A/C works. I suspect a "crappy job" was the case. Thanks!

OceanArcher 06-17-2010 08:03 PM

---guess it's better to say, "Nothing wrong", and quietly fix the mess-up, than admit you did .............