Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

An update of sorts

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 AM
Default An update of sorts

Sorry to not have been around for a while, the last month has been a handful. More or less starting just before Easter when I was involved in a pretty good sized auto accident.
It totaled out my T&C and broke my Arm.
One forced me into spending a bunch of money I did not need to spend on new transportation the other, typing with one finger became such a pain I quit typing.
The Cast on the arm limited a bunch of other things too, but the cast came off last week. I am still playing with paper work involved with the accident. It is amazing how paperless the society has become since computers have come out to replace paper files.
And pigs fly too.
I ended up with purchasing a year old Dodge Caravan and the technological improvements are incredible. It feels like it is bigger than my T&C was but probably Is just a newer version of the 2 box design with out any attempt at streamlining. But the paint is killer pretty on it.
Of notice down at the bottom to the dash was an economy performance button just like the one in the 94 Saturn. And the gear shift handles comes out of the dashjboard like it was done in the 1955 Plymouth or the 1937 Lincoln. I don't think I will ever get comfortable with that.
This morning was spent dealing with Dr.'s appointments so back to work until later
Uncljohn

Old 05-27-2016, 01:57 PM

So sorry to hear about your accident, and broken arm... Hope all goes well with the recovery, and with getting to know your new van... Glad, however, to see you're still going strong... How's Val's recovery going?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the update, Unc. I'm sorry to hear that you were hurt, but am happy to hear that you're healing. Was Val with you at the time? I hope not, but if so, how's she doing. Congrats on the new ride, but that's an extreme way to get one. Believe me, I know. I lost a beloved Dodge Caliber in 2010 that way.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:41 AM

I am not a big fan of "extreme methods" of obtaining new cars. And I guess I have reached a point where I need to seriously thin out the stables a bit.
No Valerie was not with me, I had gone to Church to take part in choir practice and was on my way home from there, probably a bit tireder than I needed to be and worried. Valerie has not felt well and the methodology surrounding the support of the LUNG TRANSPLANT on a daily basis is tiresome which include frequent and regular weekly trips to the lung transplant center along with any particular hiccup that happens to come here way which may need follow up investigation runs you a bit ragged and I won't even comment on the expense which can stress one out too had me a bit preoccupied. I did not see a red light at the intersection and having made a decision that I could pass through it probably became distracted from paying close attention that I should have.
The first indication of a problem developing was catching movement out of the corner of my eye that a car was turning left into mine and it caught me so much by surprise I did not even have time to react.
It was messy.
I did not realize I had broken my arm until well after the initial time of the accident. I really did not realize the air bags had not kept me from hitting the windshield until 2 or three days later when I finally tracked the dang car down so I could remove my personal belongings.
And even as late as today I discovered more paper work that I have to deal with directly related to the after affects of the accident.
It seems to be never ending.
There has been a quantum technical improvements applied to this car as compared directly to my 2007. It really is mind boggling what has taken place. Engine performance is significantly improved. It is a big car, the Vans are, but they have gotten bigger but the fuel economy is about 10% better which to me is surprising. The electronics is mind boggling. Not only those applied to being able to deal with the internet while driving but simple light controls inside the car. The dashboard lights adjust themselves so things are readable no matter what the ambient light is you are driving in. It is almost at the point where confusion reigns supreme just trying to get the A/C turned on and running.
I am still trying to figure things out but I learned one thing. The doors automatically lock when in gear and going down the road. A feature I find annoying quite frankly but it could be defeated in my 2007. However when you stop the car it seemed to me that I did not have to go through the motions of unlocking them to gain access to this and that. Valerie mentioned it as bothersome so out came the owners manual for instructions and non existed.
DANG
And then I thunk about it for a second and realized along with political correctness, another bothersome set of features, I though maybe they decided that turning that feature off was something that I should not be allowed to do! (I hate people thinking for me) So I pulled out my 2007 owners manual and read the instructions there and they worked on the 2015. So the software had not been replaced, just modified and the
Ralph Nador of today was by passed by just using the correct code.
I love it when a plan comes together.
The new multi-gear transmission is quite a package. I do not know how it works and will have to read some, but electronic controls make it easier to do some things with it.
The Performance/Economy was a feature on Valeries Saturn I always thought was a useful thing to have and this one has it too.
I think I am going to like this car but then again, I have liked owning a Van, it drives well, has nice road feel, the brakes are a huge increase in performance and the best part for me? It seats 2 wonderfully
I dunno, I'm 74 and I am 2 years older than John Wayne was when he died. The statistics are not working for me very well. My Father who died at 62 is not a good indicator, however his father lived to be 98 so maybe I have something from there.
'Hope so! Even with medical problems, I am enjoying to be alive and while it may not be too obvious, being a member of this forum has been a cherished activity too.
Later. The world is catching up with me but the Saturn still needs it's paint job.
Cheers
John