Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Today I saw a Plasti-Dipped....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default Today I saw a Plasti-Dipped....

de-badged Nissan Altima, prb no more than 3-4 yrs old.
It was a funky aquamarine color similar to the aquamarine they offered with the T bird when they brought it back.

I was trying to think of what gearhead dude would choose that color.
Then I read the license plate which referenced the owner being a girl.

No I am not slamming women on the basis of color choice; just sayin I don't think a manly man would pick this color as their 1st choice.

How do you get the stuff to "adhere" to the car yet still be peel-offable (not a word)?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:20 AM

I don't think there's any prep at all, derf. It's just spray, let it dry and drive it. But, I don't know much about anything, so take it at face value.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Question

The only thing that comes to mind is that if you start with the roof and go at the proper pace, the PlastiDip begins to "cure" quickly enough to support the weight of the next lower but continuous portion of the layer you're applying.

But something like a hood -- what keeps the entire cured layer from sliding right off ?

Old 02-06-2016, 07:11 AM

I'm sure it's got something to do with surface tension and adhesion factors, but I'm not a physicist!

Old 02-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

I thought you were a mechanic...???

Dammnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ....."

Bones, where are you to enlighten us?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 AM

I'm not really much of anything, derf. Just a dumbass old hillbilly.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 AM

The dip stays on the car, just like paint does; it bonds to the surface... However, the dip has a stronger bond with itself than with the underlying material(that bond is somewhere between road grime and vinyl stickers, strength-wise)... The thicker you spray it on, the better it sticks to itself, but it's bond to the underlying material stays the same... This allows for it to be removed in big sheets when the time comes to take off the dip...

The only prep required is to make sure your car is CLEAN and DRY... Wash it good, store under tarp or inside overnight, DONT WAX IT, then go over again with windex, isopropyl alcohol, etc. to remove all trace of finger oils, grime, wax, etc, and make sure the car is dry, including all panel gaps and crevices... Then mask off the car and spray, starting with the roof, hood, and trunk lid(hardest to get adequate coverage)... Also, be sure to start with a light coat, and progressively get heavier... Most average cars(not full size or SUVs) will use 3-4 gallons... If you use significantly less, you've probably done it wrong...

Old 02-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, sir.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 AM

Can you buy it in a spray can? Might be a way for me to paint my PT Cruiser!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:41 PM

It can be bought in spray cans; however, I don't feel that is the best approach... It's hard to get even coverage from a can, and hard to get enough dip on to ensure peelability down the line... When I did the S series my wife briefly drove, 15 cans barely did two coats of dip, and clearly was not enough product... If you bought by the can, buy at least three cases(36 cans total) from the local Lowes/Home Depot... The other main disadvantage of buying cans(especially from hardware stores) is that you are limited to basic colors... Black is common, sometimes you find gray, and red... You can order cans of brilliant colors of dip from DipYourCar.com, but you could also order a "car kit" that comes with gallons and a sprayer...

Quick Reply: Today I saw a Plasti-Dipped....