Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Poor Balance/Dizziness Episodes -- Seeking Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:12 AM

If you do go, let us know how it went. Getting to the root of the problem and fixing that is so much better than medicating the symptoms for time/eternity. One of my designations at work is benefits, and I hear a lot of stories. I also know there are a lot of scheisters out there in ANY discipline. Around here, you have to look to find a good dr that doesn't just write a scrip.

Back in the day, chiros were considered charlatans and weren't really accepted into the 'medical fold'. Not sure how much of that was real medicine or fear, but I am glad it's changing. Even though DH thinks I'm a little off - well, maybe a lot off at times - with the supplements I take, I know I'm doing something right since I don't get sick but rarely. Working in HR, I'm around a lot of people and am exposed to more than my share of illnesses, and a lot of our people aren't from the US, so hygiene can be a huge issue.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I will certainly keep you folks updated whenever something significant happens.

Thanks again for the support.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 PM

To damn funny guys. Guess no matter what's going your going to get a hard time about it.

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

ok. News Flash!
Went to my neurologist yesterday. Based on the fact that my eyes do the defocusing thing (stop converging and lose focus), we are going to approach it as vestibulsr migranes. I'm on the baby dose for a week then full force for the rest of the month.

As far as the possible muscular implications raised by my ENT, he basically said that that was horse crap (not in those words). I will agree to somewhat disagree with him and continue the rubbing of those muscle areas. Can't hurt.

Then had an acute dizzy attack while walking to another doctor's office Then, during the actual appt, while he was talking, I had another one 10 min later.

I had not had one in almost a month. really pissing me off.
Not from stress.

Had another today, ironically, while getting ready to put on my jacket to leave my weekly vestibular rehab session. My eyes finally started to converge again a few hours ago.

So I'm back to step 3 (not 1) in terms of vestib rehab progress. Frustrating. I'm setting up my heavy bag tomorrow (disassembled for the move out here)
Helping people on this forum and venting like I am right now only goes so far...you all know what I mean.

Thanks again for your support.

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 PM

I hope you get better soon... Have you seen a chiropracor yet? Or are you waiting until the migraine medicine either works or doesn't?

Old 01-31-2015, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

gonna see if the migraine-preventer medicine does the job first.
Also, I was instructed to keep a strict record of everything I eat; what time, what brand, what flavor....there are apparently MANY common food triggers known to set off both regular and vestibular migraines. So documenting what I eat and when may help figure out if there is a food trigger in play here. For example, the entire month I was attack free I ate no yogurt. The night before my two attacks I had 2 yogurts before bed. Today I had two yogurts after lunch and one after dinner. No attacks tonight. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Peace

Love

Derf

Old 02-06-2015, 01:15 AM

I didn't even think of the food thing, but that's very true. DSisIL has migraines and anything with MSG is an instant trigger. Chocolate, onions and cheese she has to be careful with.

Everyone's body chemistry is a little different, so you won't know if the standard generalizations will hold true.

You may also want to note what the temps and weather is doing each day. Air pressure changes can affect different people differently. If a storm is coming up, I know that will affect horses and dogs (learned to listen to them about the storm thing!), and if you pay attention you'll see how it affects us humans too. Agitation, anxiety, lack of concentration can all come with an impending storm.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

yes, msg and chocolate are near the top of the food trigger list. I've tried to OD on chocolate twice (including last night) but no issues afterwards so I guess I'll just have to keep eating it

Onions is a funny one -- my vestib therapist had another patient who tracked his food for three months before he figured out it was onions for him. He liked to cook and loved onions, but didn't put them in everything.

No attacks since then...I've been (safely) driving the last few days -- not too far or long. Not out of my lane. Not out of my mind.

I've come to the conclusion that this whole thing is a mixture of physical event(s) -- nerve or inner ear inflammation, muscles chronically overstrained, etc, along with a never to be specified neurological component that accounts for the wacky behavior of my eyes during testing AND as we've uncovered during some of the therapy exercises.

The goal of the therapy is not to CURE you of your condition--my ears and eyes and brain will always argue over where my body is in space--the goal of the therapy is to strengthen weak eye muscles, uncover issues no one else has picked up before because they were not looking for them, and most importantly, to teach your ENTIRE BODY and specifically your brain how to deal differently with the input it receives.

I am an scientist by trade and thought this would be fluff horse crap. But it is really helping me.

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 AM

Oh hell, derf. We all know the problem is you're too high strung and ****. Just get yourself a good bag of weed and toke up. You'll be amazed at how many of your problems will go away! LOL

Old 02-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Rube, I am indeed a high strung person--just the way it is --accounts a lot for who I am and what I can do in life. All I know is the symptoms are gong away, and the therapy is helping and the root cause will never be known. This annoys me to no end, as my mind analyzes everything around me including myself, and i enjoy solving problems. That's one of the reasons I post so damn much on this forum. I like to solve problems.

The balance dizziness thing will never be traced to a root cause as we are now changing multiple variables at once. I hate when I come across problems that become unsolvable. I also hate being imprisoned in my own home for a month.

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Poor Balance/Dizziness Episodes -- Seeking Help