Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Lost another Battery this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Default Lost another Battery this morning!

I live in Phoenix, or a suburb anyway. This is the first week in a bunch of weeks the temperature is not tripple digits by now (this writing). I moved here from a location that it started snowing in October and I have seen snow on the ground in June.
As I said to some one from back in the day and back in the place, 3 seasons, Winter, July 4th and August.
I always thought it was the cold that killed batteries! It doesn't do them any good I'll agree. But when they get a bit of age on them and they go dead a jump gets them going again. And I used to carry jumper cables I made so I could either jump or tow the car if needed.
But here in the heat!
2 Years!
and then
one second they work, the next they are toast.
I have lost count of the number of batteries I have replaced in the last 10 years.
Now I enjoy my collector cars, along with my Saturn I have a 70, and two 80's cars. Technology is wonderful. As they say, they don't make them like they used too!
And that frankly is a good thing.
A call to the dealer ship and an estimate of $160.00 to replace the battery plus the cost of a a tow. And surprise, this is the second one. The first under warrentee! Guess what, this one is not under warrentee.
It used to be, back in the day, the dealer ship was a viable alternative to getting your car repaired from some where else.
Now, sorry to say, many times it appears as if it is rip off, 'specially when they recommend a couple of hundred dollars worth of SYSTEM repairs which consisit of pouring or spraying motor fix it in a can stuff around.
So out with the old from my 3 year old Chrysler, up to Cosco and buy a new battery for $89.00, back into the Saturn and home. Install same and check;
Radio settings, AM, FM and Satalight, Clock, compass, Trip tracking electronics, this that and the other thing. All set right, no change. WOW!
Technology is wonderful. The last time I changed a battery and did not have to reset anything was a 1930 Model A Ford I owned once. It did not have anything to set.
Well, correction, it did have a aftermarket jeweled Dashboard Light lense that sparkled in different colors, but the light still worked with out setting if you had to change the battery.

Last edited by uncljohn; 08-30-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Ayup -- these new ultra-high-current batteries are suseptible to shortened lifetimes ... more's the pity

Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hey -- that's why many new cars have the batts in the trunk -- away from the engine heat

course if it's 116 out it'll only help so much

Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Your going to have to put a leash on your batteries so they don't keep running off.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

<snort>