Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Do Repairs = Garbage or Character?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Default Do Repairs = Garbage or Character?

I was going through my paperwork for my Saturn and it's ownership has been a labor of love for me. However, not all car owners feel that way. If they have to replace a part on their car, they cry that it's a piece of junk! Other people see replacing parts as necessary and building a character of the car.

So far I've thrown in as much money as to keep it running reliably. It's an old car and things need to be replaced eventually. If it was a new car and I had to do everything that I've done on it, I would be upset. But maybe that's the difference.

Thoughts?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 PM

You're right, Dave. Everything wears out over time. I never have understood why people **** and moan about having to replace a water pump or brakes or whatever wears out on their cars. I like changing parts when they're worn out. Old, paid for cars can be a lot less painful, if people would just do the preventative maintenance they all require. No reason why a car built in the last 20 years shouldn't go between 300,000-500,000 miles if properly maintained. I plan on keeping my PT and 200 until I can't find parts for them anymore, or simply can't do the repairs myself.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

1997 Saturn SC2-New
approx. $300/mo car payment
4 yr loan
paid off 2001

Year: 2016
Months without car payment=15x12=180 mnths
180 mnths x $300 = $54,000

Yes, maintenance costs, replacement parts & labor for things I could not do myself.

My point is I haven't had a car payment in 15 yrs, and for every month I DO spend $300 on maintenance/repairs/parts, it is the equivalent of ONE car payment. So if the repair extends the life of the car by more than a month, I've surpassed the equivalent cost of a car payment on a newer vehicle.

Drove it off the lot.
19 years of ownership.
Know every idiosyncrasy of that vehicle.
Know what was replaced when and what it feels like when it goes bad again.
Gets the same 35mpg highway as it always has.

Much needed caster adjustment finally made. Drives like a dream again.

Why on earth would I whine about brake jobs, water pumps, and exhaust sys replacement?

My longtime friends used to laugh at me about the car; then gas went to $4. No more laughing.

Ignorance is not always bliss

Last edited by derf; 02-12-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:48 PM

I'm gonna weigh in here... If you have a car you like, and remains fixable, it rarely pays off to trade up to a new car, unless you are continually spending large amounts each month to keep it in the road... Also, good luck finding a payment on a new car for $300 or less; the average purchase price is around $28k these days...

Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

97 SC2 : 14K Loaded, 17.7K w tax/title/etc.

I'm still fine w it-- and will to continue be as long as it can be safely repaired

Old 02-13-2016, 11:00 AM

I cannot complain about my car cause I have had 2 accidents and 1 engine repair in 135K so when a new vehicle costs what it does I drive by and smile even though mine isn't what it used to be,it is still good.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 AM

Quadcoupe, post a pic of that bad azz Dart. I'm a mopar man.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:48 AM

I don't believe it myself but I have no decent pictures,only a picture of it the day I bought it and it was a car needing a motor and some bodywork. I put fiberglass front fenders new bumpers front and rear and a new decklid then had it painted by Maaco but don't laugh too hard until I tell you they painted it the wrong color so I had them re-paint it refridgerator white and that was how I owned it for 30 years It was a great car that got between 13 to 20 mpg and would put down a 12 second quarter mile with a 3.5 second 60 foot time so I imagine with some better tires it could have been a 10 second car that my wife was perfectly comfortable driving. I drove this thing for close to 300K

Old 02-16-2016, 06:52 PM

this a picture of a picture My 2 favorite cars that I have owned a 1970 Coronet and a 1969 Dart I had the Coronet first and it was wrecked then I bought this Dart which needed repairs and this picture is what I brought home into my garage

Attached Thumbnails Do Repairs = Garbage or Character?-cars-ccars-copy-2-opy-2-.jpg  
Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the sideways pictures! LOL Anyway, it's nice to know that I'm not the only member here that loves Mopars. You can see what I currently drive. Nothing special about either vehicle, but I sure love punching the turbo on my PT Crusier. That sucker is pretty fast!

Quick Reply: Do Repairs = Garbage or Character?