New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Saturns weren't my thing until..

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Default Saturns weren't my thing until..

Jamnar from Virginia here. Seriously, I had no interest in ever owning anything from what I considered an ugly line of cars from a company that sold their cars at a set price instead of letting me haggle for a better price. Then a couple of years ago I was looking for something a little newer and in better shape that we could use while I was rebuilding our 1991 Geo Metro. We got turned around looking for a particular dealership and saw this 2000 Saturn SW2 in the back parking lot of a Mexican restaurant. I was ready to just keep on going but the price looked good given the apparent condition of the car. So I thought, what the heck, I'll just take a quick look. This one appeared to have been well taken care of and only had 110k miles on it. After driving cars with over 200k for years this was like looking at a new car. After talking to the owner and taking it for a spin I realized this was the one. Having driven and worked on this car for the past couple years I have realized that the Saturn brand and cars like this should have never have left the market. I still think they're ugly but that's ok, the ugly is only skin deep. The heart of the car is what matters and this one's got it.

Last edited by jamnar; 07-02-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: forgot pic
Old 07-02-2015, 11:07 PM

Yeah, they grow on you... I first joined here, having bought my wife an SL1 from a used car dealer... I bought the car for fuel efficiency, but fell in love with its character... When we accidentally killed it, I replaced it with a nearly worn out L200, and proceeded to fall even more in love with that... Now, I drive an ION RedLine... Totally different car, but the Saturn-ness still remains despite the huge increase in power and the huge drop in fuel efficiency...

Welcome to Saturn Forum! I see your signature is in order, now go out there and get ten(10) posts... That's the only stipulation for living here...

Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome indeed.

I truly believe that the 1st gen SC2's w spoilers are one of the more distinct body designs of he last 25 years. There is nothing out there that looked like it then or since.

Most people think they're a joke until you put them behind the wheel of an SC2 with a good suspension and tires and tell them to go take a spin. The look on their face is always priceless.

10 poata in your 1st ten days earns you permanent membership. Anything less get your account shut down for inactivity. We're an active group of posters and we're keeping it that way. Nothing personal

Old 07-03-2015, 01:19 PM

Hell, I halfway enjoyed our SL1... Slow as crap in a straight line, but confident handling, even with skinny 185/70 tires on it...

Old 07-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

go drive a tuned up SC2 and you won't wonder why I have a 95 and 97 SC2 in my driveway with about 500K betw hem

Old 07-04-2015, 03:42 AM

go drive an ion with an fe1 suspension and have a good laugh

Old 07-04-2015, 01:06 PM

I got rid of my SW200 and now have a Chrysler PT Cruiser with the 2.4 turbo. If anyone thinks these things are slow, I'd like to pull up beside them. This sum beech is fast. I lost mileage, but I love the power. I do plan on trying to find another Saturn in a few months, though. I'd like to have an Ion. Not a redline, but a plain old Ion.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by derf
go drive a tuned up SC2 and you won't wonder why I have a 95 and 97 SC2 in my driveway with about 500K betw hem
See? We should meet up and drive each other's cars... Maybe you'll convince me to buy your 95...

Originally Posted by goaliemo
go drive an ion with an fe1 suspension and have a good laugh
Actually, I grew up driving an ION with the FE1 suspension... Same confident handling and balance as my Redline, just with more dive, squat, and roll...

Old 07-05-2015, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

and we shall meet up.

I get my botox injections in my neck this coming week so once I adjust to we should make some plans.

Make your drs. appointments yet?

Old 07-05-2015, 07:06 AM

Be sure to let us know how the botox works for you, derf. I think that Reatha could benefit from a couple of those.

Quick Reply: Saturns weren't my thing until..