New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

new kid on the block

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Default new kid on the block

Hello Saturn enthusiasts,

While not new to Forums, Computers or Fandangled Mechanical Devices I do enjoy fixing things. Recently it has been my '93 Saturn SC1. And even more recently, it will be (or soon to be mine) my Saturn '97 Saturn SC2. I enjoy the outdoors and time in the garage turning wrenches. I'm a Professional Computer Jockey that works all three platforms (Windows, Macintosh and Linux). I've certified in Windows, and trained in Macintosh and Linux. So does that make me any better? Ehhh.... I'd say, "I know enough to know that I don't know very much at all."

Old 12-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

hello fellow 97sc2 owner. What does the 97 need?

PLEASE finish configuring your signature like ours . thanks

EDIT: you just did it ---thanks

Last edited by derf; 12-16-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by derf
hello fellow 97sc2 owner. What does the 97 need?.....
The '97 will need to have the engine completely rebuilt. It is currently at about 173k miles, and with no sign that it every had the Timing chain replaced. It runs, but the block is one huge greasy mess. So, I'm going to pull it, and have it professionally bored over AND have the head done too. Maybe I'll have em put in Flat-Faced valves from a '93 head to boost the compression just a tad.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

the timing chains on these cars, with proper oil change maintenance, are known to go over 250K. They are not a weak point of this engine.

What's the true compression on the 97sc2 right now? (operating temp)?

Oops we're getting techhhhy in the new member area.

Please start a new thread in the s coupe section for this car.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM

Hell of a deal Rat....come in signature done and chit. Welcome to the SaturnForum.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:15 PM

Welcome to the forum, RatTrap. Do you know anything about Mozilla Firefox? I used to use it exclusively but started having so many problems with it that I removed it from my computer and am just using Microsoft now.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

[threadjack] Are you on the latest version Rube? I've never had an issue. IE sux IMHO.
Try Google Chrome. I've used it on Android devices but not on a windows based pc. Let me know how it is. [/threadjack]

Old 12-18-2014, 07:49 AM

I think it's just my ISP, derf. I've also got Microsoft/MSN and Google Chrome and they're all very slow. Living out in BFE does have its drawbacks. I'm hoping that once we make the move to Florida, I can find better service. Maybe it's just because my desktop is 5 years old?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 AM

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't use IE, unless i "knew" the pages I was visiting were safe. Google Chrome has the "Sand Box" where it is somewhat safer than Mozilla, and way safer than IE. However, that being said, the only safe web browsing is browsing your computer while it is disconnected from the Internet.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Today I paid the $800 for the 97 SC2. Tomorrow I'll be driving it home and then start the take-down process. I'll start up another thread on this Coupe. BTW, I noticed that their doesn't appear to be a "COUPE" section. Or, maybe I failed to notice the S-series Coupe section.....

edit:
I suppose I could post up the thread in the "3-door" Coupe section, even though my '97 is only a two-door model......

Quick Reply: new kid on the block